Senior DevOps Engineer (Remote - Austin, or U.S.)
The Zebra (View all Jobs)
(Remote - Austin, or U.S.)
1. Take-home coding challenge 2. In-person review and pair programming.
Programming Languages Mentioned
The Zebra, named a Best Place to Work in Austin seven years running, is revolutionizing how connected consumers research and shop for insurance. We intentionally strive to build diverse teams that feel inclusive for all. Our motto is "All Stripes Welcome," and we put that into practice by valuing both traditional and non-conventional backgrounds and perspectives. Our Zeebs are passionate about learning, growing, & working together to tackle exciting problems.
As a Senior DevOps Engineer, you will support our Platform team in helping us improve and scale our infrastructure. You will also play a vital role in taking projects from spec to concept and building them with high-quality, creative, simple, and sophisticated solutions. You should be ready to take ownership and be thrilled about having broad responsibilities within a fast-growing company in an extensive industry.
While we are open to remote work across the contingent US, we are still in the process of establishing our company to support work in all states! We’ve recently made the shift from an in-office organization to a hybrid model and love the flexibility it allows our employees. We are set up to support employees who want to be fully remote, in-office only, and a mix of the two. Please note - we will not be supporting work based out of the following states: CA, MA, NY, NJ.
What You'll Do:
- Work with new technology to build a flexible hosting & development platform
- Maintain and scale The Zebra's infrastructure, build, release, and production systems
- Mentor product developers about the best ways to code for platform stability, scalability, reliability, and security
- Lead projects which make positive direct impacts on the business or internal workflows
- Create and Maintain automated tools to improve the developer experience
- Work with the engineering team to maintain uptime, and quickly diagnose and remedy production issues
- Share on-call responsibilities
- Jira/Kanban - track and update tasks/projects using agile methodology
What We're Looking For:
As we evaluate candidates across all roles, we look for folks who have a strong sense of ownership, great communication and collaboration skills, and a dedication to continuous improvement.
- 5 + years (or equivalent) experience spanning at least two IT fields, including technical architecture, application development, or operations
- Extensive experience with building and supporting Helm, Docker, and Kubernetes
- Understand AWS (Amazon Web Services) and be able to jump right into our environment (EKS, S3, EC2, CloudWatch, IAM, CLI, and more)
- Build and support web infrastructure and understand how to keep it running, secure, and maintainable
- Excellent troubleshooting skills across application, database, and cloud infrastructure
- Experience with CI/CD tools like Jobs in GitLab or GitHub within a specified workflow pattern
Experience that will Impress the Heck Out of Us:
- Proficiency with data stores, such as Postgres
- Proficiency with caching / queue systems, such as Redis and RabbitMQ
- Experience achieving/maintaining SOC 2 compliance
- Cloudflare experience
Benefits & Perks:
Inclusive and healthy environments are crafted intentionally. All of our employees can join and participate in (or create your own!) Employee Resource Groups. Here are some other wonderful perks of working here:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- 401k plan + employer match
- Unlimited PTO (paid time off)+ the flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year)
- Learning & Development Opportunities
- Join a team that truly lives their values (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
About The Zebra:
The Zebra is the nation’s leading, independent insurance comparison site. With our dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, consumers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has sought to bring transparency and simplicity to insurance shopping since 2012 -- it's “insurance in black and white.”
We've garnered attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists. Check out all of our awards & recognition!
Our core mantra is "All Stripes Welcome." As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, we provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform core job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄