Software Engineer - App Stores Backend (Remote)
Canonical (View all Jobs)
Home based - Worldwide
1. Review your open source contributions at shortlist stage. 2. 4x60m interviews over Hangouts, each of which is carried out blind (none of the interviewers talk to each other until the final review). The company is fully remote, so there is no on-site.
Programming Languages Mentioned
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced software engineer passionate about open source software, Linux, and Web Services at scale. Come build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, a growing international software company.
Canonical's Store team develops and operates the backend services that power the Snap Store and Charmhub.io marketplaces. Our services are built primarily in Python, within a bit of Golang. If you have a passion for clean APIs, have a bias towards shipping and believe that tests are the key to higher velocity and reliability, you'll fit right in.
We have some exciting challenges ahead including continuing to scale our production architecture, expand the store backend to handle additional package types, and enhance our on-prem offering for IoT and Enterprise solutions.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate remotely with a globally distributed team.
- Write clean web service APIs to support both CLI and web frontend clients, using Python (and optionally Golang).
- Design and implement new features and enhancements from spec to production and ongoing operations at scale.
- Review code and technical designs produced by other engineers.
- Discuss ideas and collaborate on finding good solutions.
- Work remotely with global travel 2 to 4 weeks for internal and external events.
Who you are
- You love technology and working with a diverse set of talented people.
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable.
- You value soft skills and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated.
- You have a broad technology base but favor backend code and infrastructure.
- You have proficiency developing public-facing APIs and web applications, preferably using Python and/or Golang.
- You know your way around relational and non-relational databases and can effectively design data models that perform well, and tune queries to access them.
- You are comfortable with Ubuntu as a development and deployment platform.
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree.
Canonical is a growing, international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu -- the world’s #1 cloud operating system. Our mission is to realise the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. Our services are helping businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu. Canonical is a unique tech company - global, remote-first, open source, with 700 professionals across 50 countries - we want to be the world’s best, not biggest, global software company. With almost every team remote by default, Canonical sets the pace on the 21st-century digital workplace.
What Canonical offers:
- Work from home
- Learning and development allowances
- Competitive Salary
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Generous annual leave
- Paid maternity, paternity and sick leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Exposure to international business and technology
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity, we will give your application fair consideration.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄