Senior Engineering Manager (Remote - Austin or US)
The Zebra (View all Jobs)
1. Take-home coding challenge 2. In-person review and pair programming.
The Zebra, named a Best Place to Work in Austin four years running, is revolutionizing how connected consumers research and shop for insurance. We intentionally strive to build diverse teams that feel inclusive for all. Our motto is "All Stripes Welcome," and we put that into practice by valuing both traditional and non-conventional backgrounds and perspectives. Our Zeebs are passionate about learning, growing, & working together to tackle exciting problems.
The Zebra is excited to be seeking a Senior Engineering Manager! This person will own execution and processes for their teams, ensuring expectations are set and deliverables are met. They will assist with hiring and be responsible for the technical and career growth of individual engineers.
While we are open to remote work across the contingent US, we are still in the process of establishing our company to support work in all states! We’ve recently made the shift from an in-office organization to a hybrid model and love the flexibility it allows our employees. We are set up to support employees who want to be fully remote, in-office only, and a mix of the two. Please note - we will not be supporting work based out of the following states: CA, MA, NY, NJ.
What You'll Do:
- Lead development and delivery of technical solutions
- Maintain a deep understanding of engineering/product/business needs and priorities, and work with product management and other collaborators to ensure your team has a clear vision
- Balance priorities to ensure the team optimally completes long term efforts while resolving defects, leading technical debt, and offering support to the engineering org
- Lead projects and advocate for high-quality code
- Find opportunities to improve the development process
- Assist in recruiting and hiring processes
- Set and supervise performance goals for teams and individuals, providing feedback through reviews, one-on-one, and in day-to-day discussions
- Ensure engineering is always adding business value; clearly communicating business goals to engineering teams, as well as technical solutions to collaborators
What We're Looking For:
As we evaluate candidates across all roles, we look for folks who have a strong sense of ownership, phenomenal communication and collaboration skills, and a dedication to continuous improvement.
- 5+ years (or equivalent) experience leading and directly handling engineering teams, and delivering business solutions
- Organized and excited about crafting and optimizing engineering processes to set teams up for success
- Track record of developing employees both technically and expertly
- Known to work recruiting, hiring, and on-boarding new developers
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- Ability to bring people together to build an empowering and exciting work environment
Benefits & Perks:
Inclusive and healthy environments are crafted intentionally. All of our employees can join and participate in (or create your own!) Employee Resource Groups. Here are some other wonderful perks of working here:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- 401k plan + employer match
- Unlimited PTO (paid time off)+ the flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year)
- Learning & Development Opportunities
- Join a team that truly lives their values (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
About The Zebra:
The Zebra is the nation’s leading, independent insurance comparison site. With our dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, consumers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has sought to bring transparency and simplicity to insurance shopping since 2012 -- it's “insurance in black and white.”
We've garnered attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists. Check out all of our awards & recognition!
Our core mantra is "All Stripes Welcome." As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, we provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform core job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄