Staff Engineer, Revenue and Financial Management
Stripe (View all Jobs)
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
Stripe’s Revenue & Financial Management group is building new products that expand the scope of problems we tackle beyond payments into Revenue Management, Financial Operations and analytics. Right now this includes products like Billing, Invoicing, Revenue Recognition, Reconciliation and the underlying platform for batch and real time processing of large scale financial data to power these solutions. These solutions are going to be key pillars for Stripe’s growing SaaS business and a major revenue stream.
What you’ll do
We’re looking for a Staff Engineer that will help architect and design this system from ground up. You will need to set the technical direction across a variety of projects and initiatives while also mentoring and growing others on the team.
- Scope and lead large technical projects that are the foundational pillars for Financial Data Management Infrastructure
- Scrutinize and reason clearly about the technology and architecture choices we make in building these products. In many cases, you will be the decider of these decisions
- Directly contribute to core interface design and write code. Serve as a role model for how great software should be written for Stripe as a whole
- Arbitrate critical decisions correctly that fully consider software best practices, Stripe system realities, and numerous stakeholders’ preferences and concerns
- Advise Stripe’s leadership team on key technical considerations related to the future of financial data management (e.g., on the utility of blockchain technologies). If you’re successful, you will change how finance teams operate fundamentally across the world
- Work effectively cross functionally and
- Teach and mentor the next generation of technical leaders at Stripe
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- You have a strong technical background, including 12+ years of experience with system architecture and designing distributed systems handling large amounts of data
- You have been a Staff, Principal, or Distinguished Engineer
- Deep experience building custom solutions using big data and streaming technologies like Hadoop, Spark, Presto, Iceberg, and Airflow
- You have hands on experience in building modern microservices architecture-based products
- You have served as the technical lead for a team of engineers and can demonstrate broad technical leadership
- You have owned the technical roadmap for a business area
- You listen well and internalize the best ideas from all over the organization while also setting a vision that others are excited to get behind
- You work well cross-functionally and your co-workers at all levels and across all teams trust you
- You are often cited as the inspiration for engineers that join your teams. Even senior engineers feel that they’re able to learn from you
- Domain expertise in accounting or financial management is a plus but not a requirement
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄