Software Engineer, Databases, GPTN
Stripe (View all Jobs)
Seattle, San Francisco, Remote (North America)
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
Stripe has been on a mission to build the Global Payment and Treasury Network (GPTN) to drastically increase the GDP of the Internet. This platform will act as the next generation engine to power all the critical offerings at Stripe and enable the future products to fuel the rapid growth in digital payments and the related domains. On this platform, Stripe processes payments, runs marketplaces, detects fraud, helps entrepreneurs start an internet business from anywhere in the world, builds world-class developer-friendly APIs, and more.
Our infrastructure powers businesses all over the world. We process payments, run marketplaces, detect fraud, help entrepreneurs start an internet business from anywhere in the world, build world-class developer-friendly APIs, and more.
What you'll do
In this role, you will help our applications to use the database efficiently, work cross-functionally with many different engineering organizations to improve their applications.
- Help us tune and scale the applications across databases.
- Debug and optimize the database queries.
- Collaborate with fellow team members to deliver the above.
- Plan for the hyper growth of Stripe’s infrastructure.
- Build a great customer experience for people using your infrastructure.
Who you are
We’re looking for people with good knowledge in Mysql who also have passion in bridging the application and the infrastructure.
- Experience in building horizontally scalable systems with databases like MySQL or other distributed storage technologies.
- Experience in Mysql query tuning, slow query debugging and profiling.
- Scope, design and implement the unique, large scale, high-performance distributed applications to handle billions of money movement requests in face of complex and often changing business logic
- Think about systems — their edge cases, failure modes, and life cycles
- Know your way around a Unix shell
- Have passion to work on complex problems across the whole stack
- Focus on the needs of our users, both internal and external
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production
- A metrics driven approach and can make informed decisions using data
- Are able to write high quality code (e.g. Go, Java etc.)
It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas. For instance, we have wonderful team members who are really focused on their customers’ needs and building amazing user experiences, but didn’t come in with as much systems knowledge.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄