Senior Software Engineer - Product Security
Samsara (View all Jobs)
Remote - US
1. Phone interview 2. Onsite interview (technical challenges based on real problems we've faced at Samsara)
Programming Languages Mentioned
SQL, Java, Python
Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Founded in San Francisco in 2015, we now employ more than 1,800 people globally and have over 1.5 million active devices. Samsara also went public in December 2021 and we’re just getting started.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
- #2 in the Financial Times’ Fastest Growing Companies in Americas list 2021
- Named as a Best Place to Work in Built In 2022
- #19 in the Forbes Cloud 100 2021
- IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
- Forbes Advisor named us the Best Solution for Large Companies - Fleet management software for 2022!
We're driving change in industries that are yet to fully embrace digital transformation. Physical operations make up a massive slice of the global economy but haven’t benefited from innovation and actionable information in the way that other sectors have. The potential for scale and impact is huge.
About the role:
On this team, we seek to build foundations that our product teams can build upon to experiment and iterate on new products and features rapidly, while operating within safe boundaries. You will have an opportunity to work closely with users who use the products you helped build everyday, collecting immediate feedback to continuously improve our frameworks and infrastructure. There is a lot of work to do to support our rapidly growing customer base, and we’d love for you to be part of it.
The Staff Security Engineer role combines research, analysis, prevention, detection, and forensics. From building safer and more secure systems to detecting Advanced Persistent Threat (APT) attackers, the role requires constant adaptation as new challenges arise in our wide and ever-growing surface area.
In this role, you will:
- Develop enterprise security features to enhance Samsara’s connected operations cloud
- Design and implement defensive systems that harden security at Samsara
- Build tooling and processes to help other developers create secure products, including secure coding practices
- Build vs. Buy Research and Evaluation
- Take ownership and/or lead the engineering responsibility for multiple components in a project
- Work with other teams to build secure products, carefully balancing risk and product advancement
- Respond to security and privacy incidents, write incident reports, and participate in post-mortems
- Integrate customer security requirements into product and system design
- Evaluate options and provide recommendations on scope and scale of effort required to develop solutions
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices
Minimum requirements for the role:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent practical experience
- 6+ years of experience on security-focused teams
- Good Programming experience in Go, Python or Java
- Experience with CI/CD tools - Jenkins, Bamboo, Gitlab is a plus
- Knowledge of SAST/ SCA security tools is a plus
- Experience with AWS or GCP
- Experience in designing, building and maintaining scalable cloud infrastructure and applications
An ideal candidate also has:
- Experienced in variety of cloud and database technologies - Google BigQuery, GCS PostGresql, Mysql, ElasticSearch, Kubernetes, Docker
- Strong communication skills and desire to collaborate across teams
- Demonstrated ability to ship production-quality software in a dynamic environment
- Experience working with firmware and hardware security
- Familiarity with data privacy regulations and compliance
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email email@example.com or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit regular testing. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Our target total compensation market position is in the top 25% of all software and hardware companies. Our full time employees receive an above market-rate salary, an outstanding equity offering, employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, personal development, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄