Backend / API Engineer, Consumer Products
Stripe (View all Jobs)
New York City, San Francisco, Seattle, USA (Remote)
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
As Stripe expands up the stack from APIs to UIs, hosted experiences, and no-code solutions, building for consumers has become an even more critical part of our mission to create the economic infrastructure of the internet. Consumers decide what to purchase, how to purchase, and who to purchase from. By focusing on their problems and needs – the way they make decisions and the user journeys they follow – we can build faster, more trustworthy, and higher converting products for consumers and merchants alike.
Consumer Product is a brand new team at Stripe. As a backend product engineer on the Consumer Product team, you’ll build and grow Link, our recently launched 1-click payment solution, plus take new products in development from 0 to 1. You’ll work across everything from web/mobile UIs to backend payments and authentication systems. Millions of consumers already use Stripe every year; this gives us a massive opportunity to accelerate the shift from offline to online by making their experience the best it can be.
Stripe has not historically built consumer facing products. Doing so will require both greenfield, full stack development and horizontal integrations across existing surfaces. We’re looking for engineers who are invigorated by the opportunity to have a major impact on how users interact with Stripe. You must be comfortable dealing with lots of moving pieces; you should have exquisite attention to detail, and be comfortable learning new technologies and systems.
What you'll do
- Iterate rapidly, collaborating with product and design to launch the first versions of new products
- Lay the foundation to support Stripe’s long-term consumer vision
- Be actively involved in strategic direction and product decisions
- Work with engineers across the company to ship interoperable products
- Leverage the best of Stripe’s stack or build from the ground up when prudent
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- Have 3+ years of experience shipping high-quality user-facing products.
- Combine a rigorous approach to systems engineering with a pragmatic focus on delivering value to users quickly
- Can put yourself in the shoes of your users to craft great experiences
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving many different teams and stakeholders
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise and perspectives
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄