Staff Engineer, Credit Platform
Stripe (View all Jobs)
APAC, EMEA, US / Canada
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
Credit Platform builds risk interventions and mitigations integrating with core payment processing systems and Dashboard experience, and tools for platforms and internal strategists to have visibility and agency into the risk management process. We protect Stripe's brand while also protecting the company from credit losses that can put our financial position at risk.
The Credit Platform team consists of engineers who work across the stack including front-end experiences and tools, APIs, and backend payment processing systems. We are undertaking several new efforts, where you can have an outsized impact on the architecture, implementation, and design choices behind these systems.
What you’ll do
As a full stack engineer, you will spend time across green-field, full stack development and horizontal integrations across existing surfaces. You must be comfortable dealing with lots of moving pieces; you should have exquisite attention to detail, and be comfortable learning new technologies and systems.
- Identify, scope, and lead large technical projects, laying the groundwork for early-stage products to iteratively evolve and scale
- Advise Stripe leadership on key technology and product roadmap considerations
- Align our technical decisions with Stripe’s broad strategic initiatives, while also advocating for needs specific to emerging new businesses
- Work with engineers across the company to understand when existing infrastructure can be leveraged vs. when building a bespoke solution is prudent
- Develop and execute against both short- and long-term roadmaps. Make effective tradeoffs that consider business priorities, user experience, and a sustainable technical foundation
- Teach and mentor individual contributors to become the next generation of leaders at Stripe. As a senior member on a new team, you will be looked to for guidance
- Work closely with a variety of teams: Product to envision future strategy, Business and Sales to better understand our customers’ needs, Operations and Support to understand how our products influence user experience, etc.
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- You have a strong technical background, including 10+ years of experience designing and engineering large-scale systems
- A passion for working with users, great user experience, and API design
- You are comfortable working on a new product under fluid conditions, seamlessly balancing tactical and strategic considerations.
- You have served as the technical lead and defined the roadmap for complex projects spanning multiple teams and functions
- You measure your success in terms of business impact, not lines of code
- You internalize the best ideas from across the organization, humbly setting a vision that others are excited to get behind
- Senior engineers feel they are able to learn from you. You care deeply about mentoring and growing engineers
- You enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different areas of expertise.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄