Treasury Tax Lead
Stripe (View all Jobs)
US-REM, SEA, SF, NYC
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
At its core, Stripe is a financial technology company and we are seeking someone great to help us fulfill our mission of building the Global Payments and Treasury Network (GPTN). Treasury is inextricably intertwined with our product; in order to continue to build novel and powerful products for our users, our own Treasury capabilities must be excellent. Thus, this position will not be solely internally focused.
We’re looking for a creative, smart, and driven individual to lead our Treasury Tax function and deliver a global tax strategy in line with the Treasury priorities. Stripe leaders are hands-on leaders. Accordingly, this individual will manage all aspects of Treasury taxation, from designing automated systems to advising on the technicalities of the applicable tax rules in a simplified fashion to non-tax people. We expect this person to have both feet in the taxsquad as well as one foot in the Treasury team (yes, that’s three). In addition to the primary responsibilities of leading Treasury taxation (including capital raising transactions), this individual will collaborate with our Tax Reporting Lead and work with her team (in a hands-on fashion): to (i) assist in the creation of tax compliance systems and processes and (ii) diving deep in analyzing the data in the unvarnished form in which it currently exists. This position will report to the Head of International Tax and Planning.
What you’ll do
- Establish the direction, goals, and priorities for Stripe’s Treasury Tax function with a strong moral compass and integrity
- Serve as a process owner and subject matter expert on all aspects of tax accounting, intercompany funding issues and reporting for Treasury-related activities, including currency and interest risk hedging strategies, investments, cash pooling, legal entity capital management, and debt/borrowings
- Drive and implement solutions to optimize and scale Treasury Tax operations, including building a process for tax hedge identification, foreign exchange gain/loss reporting and compliance tools/processes with a focus on scale, automation and accuracy
- Team with Treasury Finance to support overall treasury optimization initiatives and strategies, including global intercompany funding and settlements
- Collaborate with the Tax Reporting and Compliance team to assist with quarterly global tax provision for treasury matters
- Collaborate with Accounting and Financial Systems teams on both close processes and improvements thereon, including providing systems requirements
- Collaborate with the Product teams on creating Treasury and BaaS products for our customers
- Partner with the transfer pricing team on intercompany financing matters, including determining appropriate interest rates, in light of debt capacity limits and interest deductibility
- Drive the intercompany settlement process
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- 10 - 15 years of relevant experience in public accounting (Big 4 preferred) and industry with hands-on treasury tax operations experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of US international tax concepts including Subpart F, GILTI, BEAT, and transfer pricing
- A proven ability to build strong collaborative working relationships with business partners and executives
- An enthusiastic “roll up your sleeves” mentality
- The ability to deal effectively with ambiguity and thrive in an unstructured, fast-moving environment
- An inclination to solve problems systematically via infrastructure and automation.
- Robust knowledge of Accounting for Income Taxes under ASC 740 and financial statement disclosures relating to taxes with an overall general knowledge of US GAAP
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and proven ability to work effectively with all levels of staff, with cross-functional teams, upper management, and outside consultants
- Empathy, humility
- An advanced degree or professional qualification in tax or accounting (CPA, CFA, or Master’s degree)
- Experience working in a high-growth, rapidly scaling environment
- Industry experience at a multinational organization; experience working in technology, payments, or financial services is a plus
- A willingness to work with a diverse crew of tax nerds who care deeply about Stripe’s tax issues and each other
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄