Staff Infrastructure Engineer, Streaming Data Platform
Stripe (View all Jobs)
Remote (North America)
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
The streaming platform teams build real-time infrastructure used by the rest of engineering, such as our event bus, stream processing systems, real-time analytics, or asynchronous processing platforms such as task queues and workflow engines. As a Staff Engineer you’ll be empowered to make decisions with a significant impact on Stripe, and help guide our investments and strategy while making our systems reliable, secure, and a delight to use. There is a lot of work to do to make Stripe engineers’ work easier and our platforms even more reliable than they are today, and we’d love for you to be a part of it. We’re close to the people using our systems and we constantly get feedback that we use to make them better.
What you’ll do
We have a few dozen infrastructure engineers within Streaming today spread across several different teams, and you’ll work with the team, across our org, and with the product engineers who use the systems we build.
We’re looking for people with a strong background and demonstrated leadership in data platform technologies, ideally within the streaming space specifically. Staff Engineers at Stripe are empowered to operate autonomously, and are counted on to help drive Stripe forward. Many successful engineers at Stripe and on Streaming work remotely from both the US and Canada, and we’d be happy to talk to you about the possibility of working remote.
- Lead technical conversations and decision making with other infrastructure and backend teams.
- Work with engineers across the company to build new features at large-scale, while improving internal engineering standards, tooling, and processes.
- Anticipate and plan for the growth of Stripe’s streaming platform infrastructure.
- Scope, design and implement platform solutions that make the appropriate tradeoffs between resiliency, durability, and performance.
- Develop tooling and automate processes to provide a resilient and flexible platform for other engineers.
- Help debug and solve critical infrastructure issues across our services and multiple levels of the stack.
- Mentor and grow the next generation of technical leaders at Stripe.
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- Curiosity to learn and share knowledge with peers, and the motivation to empower others to be more productive.
- Pleasure in anticipating how systems fail, how to observe and design robust systems, and building the right interfaces that encourage best practices.
- A mature understanding to strike the balance between ideal and pragmatic solutions on a case-by-case basis.
- 10+ years of experience in data platform engineering, software engineering, or systems engineering at a top tier software company.
- Strong coding skills in Java, Scala, Go, or another language for building highly performant services.
- Experience planning and driving large projects involving multiple stakeholders across an organization
- Strong understanding and practical experience with streaming systems like Kafka, Beam, Flink, Pinot, Kinesis, etc.
- Strong understanding and practical experience in data platform fundamentals, including clustering, distributed systems, fault tolerance, networking, etc.
- Familiarity with the full life cycle of software development, from design and implementation to testing and deployment.
- Experience in systems engineering at scale with regards to testing, reliability, security, and observability.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄