Staff Engineer, User Billing
Stripe (View all Jobs)
1. Programming/debugging phone screen 2. On-site with your own laptop/setup and full access to internet. Interviews include systems design, 45 min practical coding question, integrating an API exercise, debugging, and talking with hiring manager about team alignment.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Staff Engineer, User Billing
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
As a platform company powering businesses all over the world, Stripe processes payments, runs marketplaces, and detects fraud, helping entrepreneurs start an internet business from anywhere in the world. User Billing provides a central entry point to Stripe teams to monetize products in global markets, consisting of our Revenue Platform, Pricing Onboarding and Enterprise Billing teams. This will be accomplished through a sophisticated pricing onboarding tooling and workflow management, unified revenue engine, and custom solutions to the complex problems facing our largest enterprise users.
The senior IC role here is responsible for driving the architecture and development of the next generation payment stack. This system can integrate with hundreds of payment rails at one side, enable many innovative products at the other side, while at the same time increasing the scale and rigor of the money movement operations in between.
What you’ll do
- Ensure our platform solutions and user billing data are high quality, meet the needs of our internal users, and position us to meet Stripe’s growth
- Ensure User Billing products built on top of the platforms are high quality, meet the needs of our external users, and position us to meet the business goals
- Drive interoperability across platforms in User Billing, and the integrations across Stripe, mostly with product and global teams
- Scrutinize User Billing interfaces, elevating our focus on speed and correctness within User Billing
- Help drive sound technical decision making within User Billing and lead technical conversations between User Billing and other teams across PIN and Stripe
- Run design and code review for key components and ships in User Billing
Who you are:
- Have solid experience in architecting and designing large-scale and complex systems that delivered critical impact to a well-known business
- Have rich experience in driving, executing, and delivering high quality technical solutions
- Are skilled in gathering and effectively synthesizing users’ feedback and experience with platforms and product offerings
- Are skilled in working across engineering teams and other functions in building alignment, driving decision making, and communicating transparently
- Are effective in giving and receiving constructive feedback to/from peers and team members
You’re not expected to have expertise across all of these areas! We have wonderful team members who focus on our customers’ needs and build amazing user experiences, and didn’t work on APIs before joining Stripe.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄