Python Software Engineer, Commercial Systems
Canonical (View all Jobs)
Home based - Americas, EMEA
1. Review your open source contributions at shortlist stage. 2. 4x60m interviews over Hangouts, each of which is carried out blind (none of the interviewers talk to each other until the final review). The company is fully remote, so there is no on-site.
Programming Languages Mentioned
This engineering role is an opportunity for a technologist with a passion for Linux to build a career with Canonical and drive the success of those leveraging Ubuntu and open source products. If you have an affinity for open source development, then you will enjoy working with some of the best people in the industry at Canonical.
The Commercial Systems unit has several areas of responsibility spread across five engineering teams that are closely collaborating with other engineering and business teams at Canonical. Services designed, developed, and operated by the Commercial Systems unit are deployed to millions of machines all over the world.
The first area of responsibility is centered around security. We develop and operate Ubuntu Advantage and Livepatch backend services that support the authentication, authorization, and delivery of Extended Security Maintenance (ESM) at scale to a wide range of devices spanning from individual systems to large enterprise fleets running in cloud environments.
On the distributed systems front, we develop an open source identity manager Candid and a Juju multi-controller manager JIMM (Juju Intelligent Model Manager) that enables organizations to centrally manage operations across a number of Juju controllers deployed to public, private, and hybrid clouds. The large majority of our systems is deployed to Kubernetes clusters.
The third major area is related to internal business operations. We develop and operate several data warehouses, including data ingestion pipelines, that are relied on by operations and data analytics teams. In addition to that, we help internal business units to automate processes across a number of software solutions and integrate with a number of SaaS solutions to ensure a smooth flow of data. Last but not least, we have a dedicated team of Salesforce engineers and administrators who take care our Salesforce implementation and integration.
We are looking for new colleagues with strong background in Go or Python, who have the drive and energy to deliver and operate solutions at scale with the highest engineering quality, continuously develop their skills, and work with us on defining the future of open source.
We expect you to have:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Computer Science or related engineering field.
- Experience as a software developer in a high-level language - preferably Go or Python.
- Experience building, deploying, and operating distributed systems and APIs.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to collaborate remotely with a diverse set of team members and stakeholders, remain highly motivated, productive, and organized in a fully remote environment.
- Ability to travel to international destinations for one week at a time, approximately 2-4 times per year. Locations prior to the global pandemic included New York, Seattle, London, Cape Town, Budapest, Berlin, Montreal, and Brussels.
We would appreciate:
- Experience developing and deploying for Ubuntu Linux in public clouds.
- Experience integrating authentication & authorization, financial, public cloud or marketplace systems.
- Experience with Salesforce development/integration or APEX.
- Learning and Development opportunities and budget
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual leave
- Priority pass for travel
- Flexible working option
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄