Senior Cloud Infrastructure Engineer
Hummingbird (View all Jobs)
1. 2 1hr technical interviews: build a game, build a little server (2 endpoints) 2. 45 min q&a: tell us about something you built 3. 30 min values q&a 4. 30 min chat with the ceo
Programming Languages Mentioned
Hummingbird is a remote-first, fully distributed team united by the shared mission of helping fight financial crime. Since our launch in 2017, we’ve helped major financial institutions and tech-savvy trailblazers alike (e.g. Stripe, Affirm, Blockchain.com, etc.) orchestrate their compliance programs through our thoughtfully designed, intuitive SaaS product. We believe finding and stopping financial crime is a problem rooted in code, language and design, so we built the product that the heroes doing this work deserve.
We are customer-obsessed, and we love building and shipping great products. We set a high bar, challenge our assumptions, seek diverse opinions, and support each other to do our best work.
About the role
At Hummingbird, we want to build better software to fight financial crime. Our engineering team is responsible for making that a reality. They dive deep into the problems that make financial crime fighting so difficult and design flexible, scalable solutions that empower our customers to catch the bad guys. Our product sits at the intersection of financial technology, data science, security, policy, law enforcement, and design. As employees at a small startup, software engineers at Hummingbird have the opportunity to wear many hats and learn and grow across a multitude of dimensions.
Senior cloud infrastructure engineers are responsible for ensuring our cloud environment can scale to meet our customers needs. They take on gnarly, low level challenges to ensure our product team can ship new features safely, securely, and performantly.
What you'll do:
- Support the underlying infrastructure that enables our platform to help fight financial crime. You’ll build developer tooling, manage our AWS environment using Terraform, make cross-cutting code changes, analyze scaling issues, setup and configure monitoring tools, and identify performance bottlenecks.
- Work with a small, passionate, and experienced team: We're a small team of mostly senior engineers and we love to do great work together. We're fully remote, but we make a strong effort to prioritize, design, and code collaboratively.
- Grapple with the challenges of working in a high security, high stakes environment: We work with some of the most sensitive data you can imagine and provide a critical service to our customers. Security, reliability, and correctness must always come first.
- Influence the overall architecture and hosting strategy: Great ideas come from everywhere. Everyone on the team has a voice in technical discussions, and is trusted to make significant decisions.
- Have the opportunity to grow into leadership: Hummingbird is growing rapidly. As we do, there will be opportunities for engineers to take on new roles in product, technology, or people leadership positions.
- 4+ years of experience with cloud hosted web applications, preferably with some startup experience.
- You love digging into complex problems and determining both the root cause and the best solution to fix.
- You're happy spelunking logs and running diagnostic tools to make sure you understand the problem.
- You sail through ambiguity and enjoy jumping around the stack, touching everything from low level networking and file systems to database configuration and high level architecture.
- Iteration is part of the fun. You’re not married to specific ideas or solutions.
- You want your impact to go beyond the lines of code you write.
- Safety first. You care about quality, testing, and security.
- You like digging deeply into new technologies, new domains, or new ideas.
- You want to build something exceptionally valuable and have a real impact on the world. You're excited to get your hands dirty in pursuit of that goal.
- (Bonus) Experience in the financial sector, especially around compliance or fraud.
Technologies we use and teach:
- AWS, PostgreSQL, Redis
- Terraform, CircleCI, Nix, Docker
- Ruby/Rails, Python
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please don't hesitate to contact us to request accommodation.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄