Software QA Engineer, Platform
RStudio (View all Jobs)
USA - Remote
1. Video calls with recruiter then engineering management 2. Take home project 3. Video call for code review with engineering lead
Programming Languages Mentioned
RStudio is seeking a QA engineer with strong automation and cloud infrastructure experience to join the Platform Team. The team works across all of the RStudio products, providing working on cloud deployments, common engineering services, and developer team productivity. This is a high-leverage team that can impact many people and customers. You will be joining a team of passionate, collaborative, and talented engineers at a company with a proven track record of producing great software used by hundreds of thousands of data analysts worldwide.
About the role:
This is a high-impact, mid-senior role that involves test strategy creation, full-stack testing, test automation framework maintenance, creation and execution of automated tests, and process improvement in collaboration with the team. The person in this role has a significant opportunity to drive the quality of our software through careful testing and thoughtful analysis. Maintaining a high standard of quality on the Platform team feeds into the other RStudio products & teams we support, providing customers with a stable RStudio experience. We value analysis, reflection, and critical thought on the team, so you will be expected to contribute to collaborative product discussions throughout the development process.
- 3+ years of professional experience in software Quality Assurance
- Experience working in one or more cloud environments (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Experience creating high-level test strategies for multiple products
- Exposure to testing software applications on different Linux distributions
- Exposure to Python & Pulumi is a plus
- Exposure to Kubernetes to aid in creating test infrastructure is a plus
- Curiosity and a willingness to learn new technologies
What you’ll own/work on independently:
- The Platform team handles many distinct projects and needs a champion of quality for each one. This includes defining what needs to be tested and automated, what regression and validation are required, reaching out for feedback from stakeholders, and documenting test processes for the rest of the team. Quality is not just the responsibility of the QA Engineer, but we need someone who can instill a QA mindset throughout the whole process.
- Participate in the full lifecycle of the projects from grooming through support.
- Use Docker to create reproducible test environments on different Linux distributions. Use infrastructure-as-code tools to deploy test environments in AWS or other cloud platforms.
What you’ll work on with team members:
- The Platform team works together to ensure we deliver and maintain high-quality software. You will be involved in the initial planning, requirements, design, architecture review, testing, and more.
- You will lead the test strategy creation for a new Go project on the team’s short-term roadmap.
- Help create repeatable and maintainable automation patterns for others to easily follow. Depending on the project, these automated tests could be end-to-end, API, or even load and performance. It is critical for the team to have automated tests here to last a long time and we would love to hear from you how to accomplish that.
What you’ll teach:
- A Quality mindset across the team. Everyone on the team owns quality, and QA helps set the tone of user advocacy.
- Promote QA best practices to help the team maintain a high quality of testing activities
- Industry trends and new technologies related to testing in the cloud
What you’ll learn:
- We work a lot with other teams, and QA Engineers can act as a connective glue between teams. To be effective, you will need to learn from these other teams. This will include learning about the RStudio products and what is most needed for the projects we support. Part of this learning will also involve partnering with Customer Support to triage customer-reported issues.
- An appreciation for software in the data science context
- A deeper understanding of cloud infrastructure and DevOps for build / test / deployment
- New skills related to test automation on Linux and cloud platforms
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at RStudio.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: We have over 50% of our engineering dedicated to creating free and open source software. We are profitable and we plan to be around decades from now.
We offer competitive compensation with extensive human-first, people-focused benefits to prioritize your personal and financial well-being.
- 100% of medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums are covered for employees and their families! Fertility and gender-affirming healthcare is included in all of our plans.
- Supplemental mental health and wellness benefits are available via Ginger even if you don’t opt in to our insurance plans, including Ginger for teen family members.
- RStudio’s gender-neutral paid parental leave policy covers all new parents, including foster and adoptive parents.
- Our 401k matches up to 50% of the maximum employee contribution after six months.
- An annual profit-sharing bonus for employees recognizes our team’s contributions to company performance across the year.
- We are a 100% distributed team. You are also welcome to come into our Seattle or Boston offices.
- Our remote office allowance includes:
- $1000 home office allowance plus an additional $800 for equipment
- Up to $400 monthly reimbursement for coworking space rental
- Our remote office allowance includes:
- We provide a flexible environment with a generous vacation policy that encourages a minimum of four weeks PTO per year plus 13 paid company holidays.
RStudio is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄