Senior Backend Engineer
Mozilla (View all Jobs)
Remote US, Remote Canada, Remote Toronto/Vancouver Area
1. Deep-dive discussions on technical and mentorship problems solved in the past. No live coding. Total of 3 rounds.
Programming Languages Mentioned
We’re looking for a passionate, driven, and experienced backend engineer to help us deliver world-class applications across the Pocket product line.
At Pocket, we are focused on connecting people to the power, possibility & magic of the web. Our apps and platform are essential ways that over 100M people discover and consume content on the web.
Are you excited about the role of content to enrich users’ lives? Do you want to build software for a massive audience? We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to help make this happen. Our Backend team builds the Pocket experience behind the scenes to provide our client engineers with the APIs and infrastructure they need. We’re looking for a leader that is passionate about building powerful machine learning workflows, finding innovative solutions to challenging problems, and shipping quality code.
Pocket is a part of the Mozilla Corporation. We are committed to an internet that elevates critical thinking, reasoned argument, shared knowledge, and verifiable facts. As our Senior Software Engineer, you’ll be responsible for helping ensure our ability to support high-quality content on the web. This role is fundamental to Pocket’s success.
Come work with us and make a huge impact on advancing high-quality content on the web.
What you’ll do:
- Own significant pieces of our data architecture that power experiences in: Firefox, Pocket application, and web surfaces. These surfaces engage millions of users every day and hundreds of developers build applications upon.
- Develop reusable patterns and practices for deploying systems at scale on cloud platforms.
- Deliver new features to our users by developing and enhancing our APIs.
- Collaborate with peers, pair programs, code review, and collaborate with the greater organization.
What you already have:
- Standards for quality and performance by performing code reviews, fixing bugs, and creating tests.
- Experience in a type safe language; Typescript/python a plus.
- Strong communication skills and an ability to approach problems in a structured way and distill complex issues into actionable insights.
- A B.S. in Computer Science would be lovely, but real-world experience is preferred.
- At least 4 years of professional experience. Experience scaling a platform to handle millions of users a plus. Consumer-facing products experience is a plus.
- While not required, any direct experience with infrastructure technologies such as: AWS, GCP, Terraform, Cloudformation, AWS/Terraform Cloud Development Kit, and/or Docker are a plus.
Our team requires skills in a variety of domains. You should ideally have experience with some of the areas listed above, and be passionate about learning new things.
If you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications we still encourage you to apply!
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at email@example.com to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄