Telco Open Source Engineering Specialist
Canonical (View all Jobs)
Home based - EMEA
1. Review your open source contributions at shortlist stage. 2. 4x60m interviews over Hangouts, each of which is carried out blind (none of the interviewers talk to each other until the final review). The company is fully remote, so there is no on-site.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Golang, Python, SQL
The telco industry is moving to software-defined services. This transformation is driven by open source software, cloud computing and the move to VNF / CNF approaches. Canonical Ubuntu is a key platform for telco innovation, and we are growing our team of specialists who work in the industry to accelerate the change.
Canonical enables operators and communications service providers to embrace this new world, with a focus on platforms such as Ubuntu, OpenStack, and Kubernetes, and reusable, high quality automation for operations at scale.
As part of the Canonical Field Software Engineering organization, you will lead customers through the design and delivery of OpenStack, Kubernetes, and software-defined networking solutions. Your passion for open-source technologies will enable customers to understand and operate advanced infrastructure substrates to meet the demands of 5G and beyond.
What you’ll do
- Match customer requirements to advanced capabilities in the VNF/CNF/NFVi/NFVO/VNFM/VIM/MEC space
- Provide technical pre-sales consulting to Service Provider teams
- Design and implement telco-grade open source multi-tenant private clouds and micro clouds
- Investigate, report and/or fix software defects uncovered during customer deployments
- Demonstrate advanced Infrastructure as code (IaC) techniques relevant to telco
- Architect and implement advanced, resilient Service Provider Cloud and Application solutions
- Design and deliver software defined infrastructure with OpenStack, Kubernetes, MAAS and Ceph
- Learn model-driven operations with Juju charms for Kafka, Hadoop, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, NGINX, and more
- Help customers adopt advanced Bare Metal, Public, Private and Hybrid Cloud solutions
- Learn from customer engagements and drive meaningful product improvements
- Shape our roadmap to accelerate our growth in the telco market
- Python or Golang software development experience
- A thorough understanding of the telco NFVi (VIM), NFVO, VNFM and MEC space
- Technical understanding of key telco technologies like CPU Pinning, NUMA, SRIOV, DPDK, etc
- A thorough working understanding of the architectures and infrastructure of MNOs and CSPs
- Working knowledge of Mobile Packet Core, Radio, VAS, OSS/BSS
- Understanding the infrastructure requirements for modern virtualized NF deployments
- Thought leadership and the ability to lead architecture discussions about ETSI and/or 3GPP standards
- Understanding of best practices for open source technology in telco virtualisation roadmaps
- Architect level understanding and practical experience of telco workload demand
- Working knowledge of Linux, Openstack and Kubernetes networking
- A passion to automate and improve all aspects of open source products and tooling
- Ability to lead complex projects from start to finish
- A collaborative attitude with a keen eye on customer success
- Excellent communication and presentation abilities
- Able to travel up to 50% of the time for events, customer meetings, project delivery
- BS Computer Science or STEM
Ways to stand out from the crowd
- Widely spoken second language such as Japanese, French, German, Spanish or Portuguese
- Track record of open source contributions
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, the world’s best free software platform.Our services help businesses worldwide reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity we will give your application fair consideration.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄