EMEA: Staff Backend Engineer - Recommend
Algolia (View all Jobs)
1. Take-home project 2. Onsite discussions and presentation
Programming Languages Mentioned
Algolia is set to enable every company to create world-class Search and Discovery experiences with an API-first approach. Performance and Scalability is at the heart of our mission: we power 1.5 trillion searches a year, for 10K+ customers all over the world. We see Developer Experience as a key element of our offering: we maintain high-quality SDKs for dozens of languages and platforms. We value Grit, Trust, Candor, Care and Humility. If you're a problem solver, able to think outside the box and eager to nurture others and learn from them, then this is your challenge!
Our mission is to empower companies to push the right content to increase their users’ chances to stumble upon what they’d be interested in and increase the discoverability of their inventory. To this end, our objectives are to:
- Build a fast and robust recommendation API
- Rely on the best AI technology to deliver relevant recommendations
- Provide a seamless experience for customers to setup their recommender engine
Team members have different skill sets, covering the full stack of our recommendation offering, from the machine learning models to the Recommend API to the front-end Dashboard of our customers. Your experience, your knowledge and your perspective will add value to this diversity, and help the team deliver products that make a difference.
We are looking for a Staff Back-end Engineer to grow our Recommend Platform team. As a staff engineer, we expect you to bring significant experience acquired from a similar role in a former job. Not only will you lead projects in complete autonomy, you will also be accountable for planning ahead, and thinking in terms of what's best globally for the company rather than locally for your projects. This also means you are expected to ramp up on multiple projects, and orchestrate changes across projects and teams whenever necessary. As a staff engineer, you are also expected to be a technical leader, sharing your knowledge, helping engineers grow and leading improvements of team practices.
YOUR ROLE WILL CONSIST OF:
- Drive and be a key contributor to the design, development, and ultimately operation of the Recommend engine system at scale
- Be responsible of the quality, soundness of the system
- Work with other teams to identify, troubleshoot, and resolve high impact issues.
YOU MIGHT BE A FIT IF YOU HAVE:
- Experience in a cross-functional team
- Experience working with APIs at scale
- Rigor in high code quality, automated testing, and other engineering best practices
- Good spoken and written English skills
- Preference for candidates with experience at our current stage and beyond (over 10,000 customers, $50-200M ARR range, high growth, lots of change and building internal infrastructure).
NICE TO HAVE:
- Experience in Go
- Experience in C++
- Experience in SQL
- Curiosity to Site Reliability Engineering
- Experience in Kubernetes based deployments
WE’RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO CAN LIVE OUR VALUES:
- GRIT - Problem-solving and perseverance capability in an ever-changing and growing environment.
- TRUST - Willingness to trust our co-workers and to take ownership.
- CANDOR - Ability to receive and give constructive feedback.
- CARE - Genuine care about other team members, our clients and the decisions we make in the company.
- HUMILITY - Aptitude for learning from others, putting ego aside.
Algolia’s workplace strategy, Hybrid Remote, is designed to harness the power of the opportunities that remote work offers both employees and the company, while also providing an engaging in-office experience for the times when an employee is in an office. Our workplace approach reflects the belief that an employee’s impact, contribution, and output are more important than their physical location.
The majority of employees will be able to choose if, and when, they come into an office on a regular basis. There will be times when our people are asked to come into an office for “moments that matter:” activities like critical planning meetings and team social gatherings. Beyond those events, 80% of our workforce may choose the location from where they work in the country in which they were hired.
We have physical offices in San Francisco, NYC, Atlanta, Paris, London, Austin, and Bucharest. https://www.algolia.com/about/
Algolia prides itself on being a pioneer and market leader offering an AI-powered, API-First Search & Discovery platform that empowers 12,000+ businesses to compose customer experiences at internet scale that predict what their users want with blazing fast search and web browse experience. Algolia powers more than 30 billion search requests a week – four times more than Microsoft Bing, Yahoo, Baidu, Yandex and DuckDuckGo combined.
Algolia is part of a cadre of innovative new companies that are driving the next generation of software development, creating APIs that make developers’ lives easier; solutions that are better than building from scratch and better than having to tweak monolithic SaaS solutions.
In 2021, the company closed $150 million in series D funding and quadrupled its post-money valuation of $2.25 billion. Being well capitalized enables Algolia to continue to invest in its market leading platform, to better serve its thousands of customers–including Under Armor, Petsmart, Stripe, Gymshark, and Walgreens, to name just a few.
The team is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Paris, London, New York, Austin, Atlanta, and Bucharest. To learn more, visit www.algolia.com.
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
We’re looking for talented, passionate people to build the world’s best search & discovery technology. As an ownership-driven company, we seek team members who thrive within an environment based on autonomy and diversity. We're committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace. We care about each other and the world around us, and embrace talented people regardless of their race, age, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, color, veteran status, disability and socioeconomic background.
READY TO APPLY?
If you share our values and our enthusiasm for building the world’s best search & discovery technology, we’d love to review your application!
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄