Desktop and Embedded Linux Field Engineer
Canonical (View all Jobs)
Office Based - Shanghai, China
1. Review your open source contributions at shortlist stage. 2. 4x60m interviews over Hangouts, each of which is carried out blind (none of the interviewers talk to each other until the final review). The company is fully remote, so there is no on-site.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Canonical Ubuntu is the world's leading Linux for software engineers, desktops, cloud and IoT. We bring open source to the world as a safe and secure platform for personal computing, and the launchpad for innovators, entrepreneurs, and scientists.
We work with the world's most significant silicon companies - Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Mediatek, Hisilicon, Samsung and more - to optimise Ubuntu on their next-generation chips. We also work with OEMs and ODMs - Dell, HP, Lenovo, Advantech, ADLink and many more - to ensure that Ubuntu works perfectly on their hardware.
We invite you to join Canonical as an Ubuntu Enablement Engineer. In this role, you will use your knowledge of Linux and hardware to represent Canonical with leading OEMs, ODMs, and silicon partners to deliver the best user experience of Ubuntu on partner hardware. Your work will improve Ubuntu for millions of users.
This fast-paced environment requires excellent time management, insightful debugging, critical thinking, problem-solving skills and deep knowledge of the Linux system.
- Work closely with partners on platform bring up
- Debug and prioritize issues, escalate to engineering teams where needed
- Facilitate communication between Ubuntu, firmware and hardware engineering teams
- Build and maintain working relationships with partners
- Conduct root cause analysis, collect and organize details to reproduce and explain results
- Provide fast response times and estimated time lines for resolving technical issues
- Plan, build and deliver Ubuntu ecosystem technical training to Canonical's partners
- Design and provide factory support during production preparation and run
- Occasional international travel to the EU, USA, Taiwan and China
Required skills and experience
- A Bachelor or higher degree in STEM, preferably Computer Science or Electrical Engineering
- Good interpersonal skills for collaboration and customer engagements
- English written and verbal communication skills
- Linux kernel, boot and system-level architecture skills
- Linux debugging and resolution abilities
- Ability to be productive in a globally distributed team
- Ability to learn fast to work on cutting edge technologies
Desirable skills and experience
- Experience with system firmware, including UEFI, ACPI, DSDT, boot loaders, device firmware
- Experience debugging power management on PCI ASPM, SATA ALPM, low power profiles
- Experience in board design, bring up, and validation
- Experience with electrical engineering design tools (e.g. schematic capture, layout)
- Computer architecture knowledge of x86, ARM, RISC-V
- Familiarity with Ubuntu development model
- Shell/Python scripting skills
What Canonical offers:
- Personal learning and development budget
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual leave
- Priority Pass for travel
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, the world’s best free software platform.Our services help businesses worldwide reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity we will give your application fair consideration.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄