Engineering Manager, International
Checkr (View all Jobs)
Remote, United States
1. 1 hour CoderPad problem 2. Four 1 hour interviews: API Design using your computer and languages, Refactoring in language of your choice, Object Design (no coding), System Architecture (no coding) and sometimes a 30 minute manager chat
Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by designing technology to create opportunities for all. We believe all candidates, regardless of who they are, should have a fair chance to work. Established in 2014 and valued at $5B, Checkr is using technology to bring hiring to the next level. Our People Trust Platform uses machine learning to help thousands of companies modernize their background check process and make hiring safer, more efficient, and more inclusive. Some of our customers include Uber, Instacart, Doordash, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco.
A career with Checkr is an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest minds, disrupt an industry for a better future, and give otherwise overlooked candidates access to employment. Checkr has been recognized in Forbes Best Startup Employers and is a top Y Combinator company by valuation.
Checkr is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead the International Gig Expansion team. The team will build APIs and UI experiences for background checks outside the US. The team will build new capabilities in expanding the International product and services, integrating with global data vendors and service providers and driving international data security and legal compliance across the organization. Additionally, the team will work closely with the core logic of our background check engine, API design, micro-services, infrastructure, open sourcing tools and more.
In this role, you will help define Checkr’s ambitious international growth strategy and product roadmap to include building local capabilities, enhancing automation in key geographies, and building new screenings. You will align internal business partners and leadership around this plan and partner with cross-functional teams to execute on this plan.
Our ideal candidate has built international products at scale. They are a fast learner with an entrepreneurial mindset and understand the technical, legal, and security requirements of building products in different markets.
- Design, implement and scale our microservice architecture
- Analyze qualitative and quantitative data to drive product, technical, and team improvements
- Work with the team to reduce technical debt and sustainably scale our architecture
- Optimize engineering processes and policies to drive velocity and quality
- Partner closely with product management to build new features and enhance existing ones
- Partner closely with our data vendor to prioritize technical and product enhancements
- Manage the performance and career growth of individuals on the team
- Mentor and develop the careers of team members varying in seniority and experience
- Hire to grow the team
What you bring:
- 2+ years as an engineering manager
- 7+ years as an engineer
- Deep understanding of software engineering principles, including service architecture and system design
- Strong skills in critical thinking, decision making, problem-solving, and attention to detail
- Experience with hiring and growing teams
- Experience working on products at scale, and understanding the data, legal, human impact, and technical nuances of supporting highly regulated products
- Ability to make high-level prioritization decisions quickly and thoughtfully
- Backbone to make tough decisions when necessary
- Able to develop inclusive teams to foster growth and diversity
- Mentor the team to grow by providing stretch assignments, and opportunities relevant to their interests
- Humility, openness to feedback, and eagerness to learn
What you get
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Up to 25K reimbursement for fertility, adoption, and parental planning services
- Flexible PTO policy
- Monthly wellness stipend, home office stipend
The base salary for this position will vary based on geography and other factors. In accordance with Colorado law, the base salary for this role if filled within Colorado is $177,013-$208,250.
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄