Senior Software Engineer, MTS
Mapbox (View all Jobs)
1. Conversational interviews 2. Paid onsite project with team.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Mapbox is the leading real-time location platform for a new generation of location-aware businesses. Mapbox is the only platform that equips organizations with the full set of tools to power the navigation of people, packages, and vehicles everywhere. More than 3.5 million registered developers have chosen Mapbox because of the platform’s flexibility, security and privacy compliance. Organizations use Mapbox applications, data, SDKs and APIs to create customized and immersive experiences that delight their customers. Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, tracking your personal best mile on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps.
What We Are Working On
Maps are a critical part of enabling a more autonomous future. We are powering maps for in-vehicle experiences such as navigation, commerce transactions, joyful rides, and many others with BMW, Rivian, GM and Toyota.
Maps provide the canvas on top of which package routes are drawn for logistics customers such as Amazon, FedEx, InstaCart. We are building solutions for logistics planners, drivers, fleet operators and end customers. As part of this effort you will be adding new capabilities to the Maps APIs and ensuring operational excellence in meeting availability and SLA thresholds.
What You'll Do
Mapbox is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Maps API team. You will be responsible for implementing processing of MTS Tiling Jobs that help our customers publish their tilesets data to develop business insights. In a single week on the Maps API, you might write application code, build and deploy microservices, diagnose complex system behavior as global markets drive API traffic in unexpected ways, and facilitate operational excellence.
In this role, expect to:
- Collaborate with the team to identify and scope out well-defined tasks
- Execute on the scope and be accountable for delivering on time with quality
- Design systems and make decisions that will keep pace with the rapid growth of Mapbox’s customer base.
- Promote a culture of operational excellence by meticulously testing and monitoring our systems and code, writing documentation, and being on-call to support the health of our services.
- Reduce technical debt, share your knowledge, and invest in your teammates’ health and happiness, while optimizing application performance and accelerating feature velocity.
- Uphold a culture of collaboration, transparency, creativity, inclusion, and data-driven decisions.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- 2-3 years of programming experience in building high-quality applications, data pipelines from ingestion to consumption within a big data architecture using Python
- 2-3 years of experience with Big Data technologies such as Apache Spark, AWS - EMR, Airflow and Athena
- In-depth understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Ability to engage, learn and contribute quickly to the initiatives
- Able to perform independently all the development tasks, based on designs and specs
- High quality mindset -- write unit tests, proactively remedy defects and follow through to production
- A desire to share your expertise through documentation, mentorship, pairing and both written and verbal discussion
- A desire to work with individuals with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences.
- Experience in Terraform/Cloud Formation scripts to develop or support Infrastructure as Code
- Proficiency in our stack — Node.js, AWS Services
- An empirical analytical approach. You develop strong hypotheses, conduct spikes, and clearly communicate your findings.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄