Senior Backend Engineer, Monitor:Observability
GitLab (View all Jobs)
1. A series of video calls 2. Coding exercise involving working on a Merge Request that is like a real work task
$107,500 - $195,800
Programming Languages Mentioned
The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,600+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
GitLab is building observability into the DevOps Platform based on the recent acquisition of Opstrace. It will be fully integrated and on-by-default for all GitLab customers, while maintaining the Opstrace Open Source Distribution as a standalone project. As a Senior Backend Engineer on the Observability team, you’ll collaborate on building cloud-native tooling, scalable data storage technologies, and custom orchestration logic. You’ll work closely with customers and operate the code you write. You will help bridge the gap between expensive SaaS vendors and difficult DIY projects. There’s a lot to do and learn.
Some things you may work on:
- Developing high scale storage systems on top of technologies such as ClickHouse
- Integrating open source observability tools like Prometheus, OpenTelemetry, and Jaeger
- Developing CI/CD automation and test harnesses
- Support other GitLab teams and customers to help integrate observability into their applications
- Professional experience with ClickHouse Databases: Scalability, Schema development, tuning, etc
- Significant professional experience with Golang
- Experience with metrics and logging using open source tools such as Prometheus, Promtail and/or Fluentd
- Significant operational experience of moderate-scale production services
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical problems and propose/implement thorough iterative solutions
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems
Nice to have:
- Experience operating a managed Kubernetes cluster (ex. GKE or EKS)
- Experience with Cortex, Thanos, Jaeger, or other similar open source observability systems
- Distributed systems experience
- GCP and/or AWS experience
- Typescript and/or Ruby on Rails experience
To see more about what other Backend Engineers do at GitLab, check out this link - https://about.gitlab.com/job-families/engineering/development/backend/senior/
To view the full job description and its compensation calculator, view our handbook. The compensation calculator can be found towards the bottom of the page.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄