Senior Data Scientist
Samsara (View all Jobs)
Remote - US
1. Phone interview 2. Onsite interview (technical challenges based on real problems we've faced at Samsara)
Programming Languages Mentioned
SQL, R, Python
Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Founded in San Francisco in 2015, we now employ more than 1,800 people globally and have over 1.5 million active devices. Samsara also went public in December 2021 and we’re just getting started.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
- #2 in the Financial Times’ Fastest Growing Companies in Americas list 2021
- Named as a Best Place to Work in Built In 2022
- #19 in the Forbes Cloud 100 2021
- IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
- Forbes Advisor named us the Best Solution for Large Companies - Fleet management software for 2022!
We're driving change in industries that are yet to fully embrace digital transformation. Physical operations make up a massive slice of the global economy but haven’t benefited from innovation and actionable information in the way that other sectors have. The potential for scale and impact is huge.
About the role:
The Samsara AI team builds end-to-end machine learning and computer vision solutions for our customers as well as core ML infrastructure for Samsara. As a Senior Data Scientist you will be a science leader and key contributor in building core models and predictive techniques for use in building and understanding products. You will work closely with other scientists as well as full-stack, firmware, and platform teams to deliver core infrastructure, services, and optimizations.
This role can be office-based or fully remote in the US and Canada.
In this role, you will:
- Build and improve the accuracy of ML/CV models, including retraining and optimizing open-source models to solve Samsara-specific problems
- Work with petabyte-scale data from Samsara camera and sensor devices to develop new models
- Research, adapt, and apply cutting edge techniques in CV and deep learning
- Optimize models for inference on the backend and/or on edge devices
- Partner with our hardware teams to design devices for optimal performance and cost
- Stay connected to industry and academic research and adopt novel technology that suits Samsara’s needs
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new office
Minimum requirements for the role:
- BS or MS in Computer Science or other quantitative field (e.g., Applied Math, Statistics)
- 5+ years experience as a Data Scientist, Machine Learning Engineer, or similar role
- Proficiency in data modeling as well as SQL, Python, R, or a similar scripting language
- Ability to distill informal or ambiguous customer and business requirements into crisp problem definitions
- Proven ability to communicate verbally and in writing to technical peers and leadership teams with various levels of technical knowledge
An ideal candidate also has:
- PhD in Computer Science or quantitative discipline (e.g., Applied Math, Physics, Statistics)
- Strong functional knowledge of common tools like Jupyter Notebooks, AWS (e.g., EMR, Redshift, S3, Sagemaker)
- Record of successful mentoring and development of junior team members
- Experience working with large datasets using distributed computing (e.g., Spark, Hive)
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email email@example.com or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit regular testing. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Our target total compensation market position is in the top 25% of all software and hardware companies. Our full time employees receive an above market-rate salary, an outstanding equity offering, employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, personal development, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄