Staff Software Engineer
Ginger (View all Jobs)
Remote - U.S.
1. Realistic coding exercise 2. Take-home project 3. Virtual onsite (system design, experience, and culture)
Programming Languages Mentioned
Staff Software Engineer
at Headspace Health
Remote - U.S.
About the role:
Our engineering team is built on a foundation of trust, respect, collaboration and geared towards making a real impact by solving real problems. We are looking for an engineer that can quickly contribute to our product and is passionate about building a world where mental health is never an obstacle.
We're looking for a passionate & experienced Staff Full-stack engineer to join our growing / distributed international engineering team. You will work hand-and-hand with our remarkable clinical and product teams to build and scale Headspace Health’s behavioral health operating system. A system that puts member & clinician experience above all else!
This position is open to remote candidates.
- You excel at leading and organizing complex cross team projects, deliberately bringing in diverse perspectives and ensuring ideas are challenged respectfully
- You are skilled at defining technical specifications, and influencing the direction of products, services, and strategies across the organization
- You think about system architecture, macro-level optimization and creating leverage through good design.
- You have a passion for writing readable, secure, tested code and following best practices
- You look forward to code reviews from peers knowing that it will help you and others grow
- You leverage existing solutions, design patterns, and frameworks where they fit the best, and have the capacity to come up with your own when existing practices do not meet the needs
- You desire to work at a startup, you can thrive and feel empowered in both unstructured and structured environments. Ideally, you have worked at a couple other startups and can contribute your learnings from those experiences
- You enjoy collaboration and mentoring other engineers
- You are interested in contributing not just to our application but also to building and maintaining infrastructure that supports our development, deployment and monitoring and alerting processes
- You are comfortable giving estimates, working within a timeline, foreseeing and mitigating risks to a timeline, and communicating risks back to stakeholders
- You care about having a diverse team and this may mean you represent diversity yourself
- You learn from failure and act as a role model for others to do the same by openly and respectfully discussing failures and learnings
- You have strong verbal and written communication skills
- 6+ years of software development experience
- 4+ years developing, deploying and maintaining non-trivial, concurrent, commercial backend systems. Bonus if you have experience using AWS infrastructure-as-code tools (ex: CloudFormation, Terraform)
- 2+ years of experience as a successful team lead; mentoring other engineers, and successfully leading complex projects from conception to delivery
- Experience with one or a few of the following: Python, Django, Node.js, TypeScript
- 1+ years web front-end experience: HTML, CSS, JS, TypeScript, ReactJS / AngularJS (or equivalent)
- Experience with and understanding of: relational and non-relational DBs, normalization / denormalization, SQL, and ORMs. Bonus if you have experience with GraphQL
- Experience writing secure / defensive code, including the use of cryptography and https
- You have designed and documented significant applications, features, or systems that involved more than a few engineers in their implementation
- You have a solid understanding of the network and API layer (REST, RPC, HTTP)
- You have strong OO design skills and an understanding of design patterns
- BS degree or higher in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or in a STEM major (Science, Technology, Engineering or Math) or equivalent experience. You can reason about code and algorithms in time, space and structural complexity
How we feel about Diversity & Inclusion:
Headspace Health is committed to bringing together humans from different backgrounds and perspectives, providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We strive to create a diverse & inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do impactful work together. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental status, disability*, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our workplace.
*Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Headspace Health. Please inform our Talent team if you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄