Senior Software Engineer, Web
Calm (View all Jobs)
1. Recruiter screen 2. Programming screen (non-algorithmic, google allowed) 3. On-site, 4 interviews. 1 Refactor code, and extend to add functionality. 2 Behavioral. 1 Systems design
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who We Are:
At Calm, we have a simple, albeit BIG mission: to make the world a happier and healthier place. Through our website, blog, and app—filled with meditations, sleep stories, music, movement, and more—we’re redefining what mental care looks like in 2021 and beyond. With over 100 million users worldwide, 100,000 new users daily, and our growing partnerships with major companies, we’re having a positive effect on more and more people each and every day. And while the heart of Calm is digital, we are growing and expanding offline with a variety of products and services to help deliver on our mission of health and happiness, the world over.
What We Do:
Calm’s Engineering team contributes directly to the company’s mission to make the world a happier and healthier place. As a Web Engineer at Calm, you will work on some of the most visible surfaces our users see, from initial sign up to renewal and beyond. Our content library, application capabilities, and active user base are rapidly growing, and our team of web engineers enables that growth with their resourcefulness, teamwork, high EQ, collaboration, and focus on results.
What You’ll Do:
We are hiring for two key roles: one building the core frontend of Calm.com, and the other within our B2B group, enabling employers to provide Calm as a mental wellness benefit to their employees.
- Serve as a reliable, go-to resource on the team for web projects, writing maintainable code that can be quickly updated when needed, has a low volume of bugs, and is readable and easily understood by other engineers on the team.
- Be self-directed with an ownership mindset, completing work efficiently with minimal intervention from others on the team. Help uncover scope early in order to establish engineering time estimates that guide prioritization decisions.
- Ensure the most frequently visited parts of our web application are performant and error free.
- Work with mobile and backend engineers to A|B test new features and UX changes, optimizing for the best outcomes for our users and the business
- Implement designs with a high degree of precision and polish
- Deploy code to production, maintain visibility on the status of Pull Requests and client builds as they get deployed, and identify root causes and resolution actions for critical bugs.
- Stay up to date on the latest technologies in web development, incorporating those changes which can accelerate our development speed and improve quality.
- Keep a pulse on user feedback that comes in via customer support, prioritizing bug fixes that have the greatest impact on our members and advocating for application improvements that solve common user pain points.
Who You Are:
- Strong proficiency with React including building reusable components and front-end libraries for future use
- Experience working with REST APIs
- Translating designs and wireframes into high quality code
- Solid understanding of responsive web development
- Optimizing components for maximum performance across a vast array of web-capable devices and browsers
- Ability to understand business requirements and translate them into technical requirements
- Growth mindset: receives feedback easily and incorporates it quickly
- Proactive executor: thoughtful in approach and decisive in decisions
- Pragmatic: balance scrappiness and rigor
- Great technical communicator
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong product and architectural instincts
- Enthusiasm and passion for quality
- Takes responsibility for making sure issues are resolved and shipped quickly
Nice To Have:
- Experience building large scale, multi faceted applications in React
- Experience managing application state with Redux
- Experience with TypeScript
- Solid understanding of writing accessibility-focused front end code
- Familiarity with code versioning tools (e.g. git)
- Familiarity with deployment CI tools (e.g. Jenkins)
- Able to deliver high quality code reviews that reduce defects and support the development of peers
We believe that mental health is health, and every person should be considered in the discussion. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Calm is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, both in our hiring practices and in our experiences as a Calm employee. We strive to create a mindful and respectful environment where everyone can bring their authentic self to work, and experience a culture that is free of harassment, racism, and discrimination.
Calm is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. Please inform Calm’s Recruiting team if you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄