Automattic (View all Jobs)
1. Short take-home code test 2. A part-time, paid project.
Programming Languages Mentioned
As a Happiness Engineer, you love helping people.
Transforming publishing on the web is no small task. Our goal is to build relationships based on trust, resulting in happy, passionate, loyal customers and colleagues. We do this by listening to our customers’ needs and guiding them to the fullest use of the products we offer. We are looking for people with the right mix of compassion, writing skills, and technical knowledge to get the job done.
Are you interested in learning more about how our team works? Check out what Happiness Engineers have to say about their work.
Note: We are currently prioritizing applications from candidates in time zones from UTC+0 to UTC+12.
In general, a typical day involves:
- Being an active member of a global team that provides 24/7 support via live chat, tickets, one-on-one screen share sessions, and forums.
- Helping people use Automattic’s products, including WordPress.com, WooCommerce, Jetpack, Tumblr, and more.
- Troubleshooting, investigating, and creating detailed bug reports.
- Building a community of support by sharing knowledge and helping team members around the world.
Being a Happiness Engineer requires:
- High proficiency with WordPress.
- Experience providing technical support to customers, particularly via live chat, tickets, or forums.
- Solid experience troubleshooting technical issues, specifically with WordPress.
- In-depth experience installing, configuring, and troubleshooting WordPress plugins and themes.
- Happiness Engineers must be fluent and eloquent in written English. If you know additional languages, please be sure to tell us.
An ideal candidate:
- Has created WordPress websites for clients in a professional or freelance setting or has experience providing support for WordPress-related products or services.
- Has experience customizing WordPress themes and plugins using PHP, CSS, and HTML.
- Has a knack for taking technical language and making it understandable for the general public.
- Is detail-oriented, resourceful, and organized.
- Has patience, grace, and a sense of humor.
Applications that are not complete will not be considered.
Note: We are currently reviewing applications as we receive them and will respond to all candidates no later than August 15 to let you know if you will be moving forward.
We’re a distributed company with more than 2000 Automatticians in 96 countries speaking 120+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄