Software Engineer, Web Infrastructure
Airtable (View all Jobs)
San Francisco, CA
1. Take home project that resembles a problem Airtable solves for 2. Five hour on-site which includes a discussion of the project, UI design, discussing architectural tradeoffs, and code debugging.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Airtable is a uniquely complex product — behind the scenes, it has a purpose-built engine which delivers the power of a relational database, the ease of use and flexibility of a spreadsheet, and support for realtime collaboration and synchronization of edits made by multiple users. All of this complexity is presented via a polished and clean web interface and user-friendly mobile apps that enable anyone to leverage the power of software in their day-to-day work.
Unlike single-purpose apps, we think of Airtable as a horizontal toolkit composed of intuitive building blocks that people can repurpose to create their own applications. Our roadmap is filled with interesting enhancements and additions to this toolkit that greatly expand the boundaries of Airtable's capabilities, performance, and scalability.
We're looking for empathetic engineers who can write clean, maintainable code that takes into account this complexity while delivering high quality and performant experiences to our end users. As we begin this next chapter in the Airtable journey, our newly formed web infrastructure team will be critical in scaling our application to meet the needs of our growing customer base.
Learn more about our Engineering team and values here.
What you'll do
- Develop a deep understanding of our web architecture, and adopt modern web development best practices and tools.
- Implement strategies for client-side data loading, reducing our bundle size, testing and observing client-side features, and writing clean and long-lasting code.
- Partner closely with our product teams to develop abstractions and tools that enable the rapid development of high quality web features.
- Help grow and define the responsibilities of the web infrastructure team, while providing mentorship and technical guidance to other frontend developers at the company.
- Improve the performance and reliability of our client model layer, synchronization protocols, and overall web infrastructure.
Who you are
- You are a web engineer who cares deeply about the experience of other developers and our end users.
- You have deep knowledge of modern web technologies, like Typescript, React, ES6, esbuild, and CSS, or analogous tools.
- You take a thoughtful approach to decision making; knowing when to move fast and when to do things right.
What We Offer
- We have your medical, dental, and vision insurance 100% covered (and your dependents covered at 80%)
- High deductible health plan available with health savings account contribution
- Complimentary One Medical membership for individuals and dependents
- Monthly “Lifestyle Wallet” to use for benefits like personal fitness (e.g., gym memberships, fitness equipment, etc.) to pet care to nutrition coaching, and more.
- Complimentary mental health support via Modern Health
- Family planning support via Carrot (fertility, adoption, and surrogacy)
- Flexible and generous time off and sick time benefits
- 16 weeks of parental leave
- Annual Learning & Development wallet to support your career development
- Emergency backup care for dependents
- Access to financial planning and legal support
- Supplemental reimbursement for Gender Affirmation procedures and services
- Access to pre-tax Transportation & Commuter Benefits
Airtable is working on the next computer revolution: one where anyone – even without technical training – can create customized applications that fit their needs, build more interconnected teams, and take part in a growing community of people who share what they create. Founded in 2012 and headquartered in San Francisco, Airtable powers teams at more than 300,000 organizations around the world. Our most recent funding round valued Airtable at $11.7 billion and raised $735 million in additional capital, and we're just getting started!
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄