Software Engineer, Platform
Rockerbox (View all Jobs)
United States, Remote
1. Phone screen with pair programming 2. 2 hours of pre-interview prep 3. 4-hour final interview with situational questions, another pair programming, and presentation and discussion of pre-interview prep outputs.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Java, Python, SQL
Software Engineer, Platform
Rockerbox fuels the growth of leading Direct-to-Consumer (DTC) brands such as Tula, Figs, Burton, and NoBull. Our guiding principle is that no marketing organization should require a data engineering team to make data-driven decisions. We take on the technical challenges of collecting and consolidating all marketing data into a single platform to enable any marketing organization, big or small, to focus on its core strength: building its brand.
The Platform Engineering team ensures that the product and our engineer team are performing at their peak. You will be joining a small team that is responsible for all facets of maintaining high-performing, reliable infrastructure, including but not limited to deployments, observability, developer tooling, frameworks, testing, and security. You will be involved in the selection and adoption of new services and the design and delivery of new tools and frameworks.
Our processing workload has grown by 400% in the past year, and we are looking for great engineers to help us scale another 100x.
You may be a good fit if you:
- Enjoy automating repeatable tasks that enable developers to iterate faster
- Obsess over performance metrics to identify potential bottlenecks and enhancements
- Care deeply about helping and supporting team members to complete projects
- Investigate rigorously to find the root cause (or at least one of them)
- Think critically about the trade-offs between short-term impact and long-term code maintainability
- Proactively learn new tools and methodologies to advance yourself and the infrastructure
- 3+ years experience contributing to large, well-maintained codebases
- Experience with Java, Scala, Go, Python, or another language for building highly scalable services
- Experience with one or more databases in our stack: MariaDB, Cassandra/Scylla
- Familiarity with configuration management and/or container orchestration tools: SaltStack, Docker, Kubernetes, Mesos (we will migrate from Mesos to Kubernetes in 2022)
- Familiarity with Linux administration and internals
- Familiarity with web security and protocols and networking fundamentals
It’s not expected for candidates to have extensive experience in all of these areas. Most Rockerboxers started with some and acquired the rest through regular teaching sessions and collaboration with other engineers.
Rockerbox started as a marketing channel to help brands to attract new customers. However, we were frequently given less credit due to misattributions resulting from the fragmentation of marketing data across multiple platforms. So we pivoted the company to solve this problem. We created a platform where brands can integrate all of their data--addressing the data fragmentation problem--so they can understand the contribution of each marketing channel in bringing them new customers.
Rockerbox is in a continual state of evolution. We are not impeded by past decisions and firmly believe that what has gotten us to where we are may not be what brings us to where we want to be. We value transparency and encourage all Rockerboxers to speak their minds and take actions to make the company or the product a better version of itself.
Rockerbox is a remote-first, equal opportunity employer, and we actively encourage applicants from underrepresented backgrounds.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄