Senior Web Developer
Reaktor (View all Jobs)
1. Discussion 2. Work samples from previous projects (work or hobby) 3. Take-home exercise if needed for further info
Programming Languages Mentioned
We’re looking for great engineers with diverse backgrounds. We need people that can fill hybrid roles with different emphases on the wide context of product development. We don’t have predefined positions. Instead, we invite you to come talk to us about your skills, experience, ambitions, and dream role. We hope to find exceptional people to do exceptional work with us, and we believe it’s important that we define your role and path to our mutual growth together.
Reaktor is a creative digital product studio. Our Tokyo branch focuses on helping enterprises build digital services using a user-driven, agile approach. We work lean, and swear by prototypes and data, continuous iteration, humble curiosity, and small teams with big autonomy.
A typical day as an Senior Web Developer:
- Creating beautiful digital service loved by users
- Planning the software architecture and technology stack
- Building elegant and robust software using latest technology
- Automating processes whenever possible
- Working with our clients in Japan
- Possibilities to work on our global projects in New York or Europe
What you need to bring with you:
- Strong verbal communication skill and ability to communicate with multiple stakeholder groups both in English and Japanese
- 5+ years of experience of working in a software engineering role in IT industries or consultancies
- Experience with both backend and frontend – one may be stronger than the other
- Worked with multiple technologies (e.g. TypeScript, React, Node.js, Angular) or multiple domains within the same technology (e.g. frontend & backend)
- Interest and/or experience in agile software development and team work
- Experience with at least one cloud provider (AWS, Azure, GCP etc.)
- Understanding of digital service development
- Hands-on experience with modern technologies
- Compassion for people and being people centric—both those around you and those who will use what we build. A letter from your future colleague, Gab discusses what this means in practice.
- An understanding that leadership can be shared. Niklas shares his view on No Hierarchy!
To give you an idea what it’s like working at Reaktor:
- We believe digitalization can bring unprecedented change to Japan. At Reaktor, you will be fulfilling a key role to help us bring innovative digital services to Japanese enterprises.
- We create digital services that answer users’ needs without compromising on software quality or execution speed.
- We support work-life balance. We believe that quality in our work comes from a mixture of experience, passion for the job, and a healthy lifestyle.
- We have global offices in New York, Helsinki, and Amsterdam. You get to learn and share knowledge with other top talent from all over the world. Let's be real though, compared to our established office in Helsinki, we have a smaller setup. Having said that, we work with MNCs to succeed in their digital ventures.
We really care about our employees and offer:
- 20 Annual Paid Holidays
- Bi-annual company trip
- Company Sponsored Team Building Outings and Events
- Paid On-boarding Trip to Finland
- Paid Cellular Phone and Data Plan
- Free Company Swag
- Endless Snacks and Drinks
- Casual Dress Code
- Support For Career and Development Growth
- One Month of Sick Leave Per Year
- Support for Family Situations Including Parental Leave and Working Flexibility
- Specialty coffee from micro-roasters throughout Japan
- Freedom to choose and expense own working tools, including keyboards, mouse, and laptop stands
Steps after submitting your application:
Brief chat to say "Hi!"
Introduction to Reaktor. We call this the Culture Fit round. Check out what Adam had to say about our interview.
Technical Round. Forget about brain teaser questions, let's have a chat about your source code!
Final Round. We take this opportunity to clarify our mutual expectations
If you believe you are the person we’re looking for, introduce yourself. Tell us your story and what you want to accomplish. Details of any open source projects and your GitHub repository are highly regarded. Drop us a line at about why you’re a perfect fit for this position, and include your CV along with few samples of your work.
P.S. Listen to our new podcast Fork Pull Merge Push.
Insight, inspiration, and the most mind-bending technical rabbit holes, brought to you biweekly.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄