Software Engineer - Backend
Ramp (View all Jobs)
New York, Miami, Remote
1. Phone interview on a basic applied problem 2. Followed by 2-3 onsite programming interviews that test practical day-to-day software skills.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Ramp is building the next generation of finance tools—from corporate cards and expense management, to bill payments and accounting integrations—designed to save businesses time and money with every click. Over 5000 businesses are spending an average of 3.3% less and closing their books 8 times faster, thanks to Ramp’s finance automation platform that enables billions of dollars of purchases each year.
Founded in 2019, Ramp has seen nearly 10x year-over-year growth which has led to a valuation of $8.1 billion in just over 3 years. Its investors include Founders Fund, Stripe, Citi, Goldman Sachs, Coatue Management, D1 Capital Partners, Redpoint Ventures and Thrive Capital, as well as over 100 angel investors who were founders or executives of leading companies. The team is made up of talented leaders from some of the leading financial services and fintech companies—Capital One, Stripe, Affirm, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Visa—as well as high-growth technology companies like Facebook, Spotify, Zendesk, Uber, Dropbox, and Instacart. Recently named Fast Company’s most innovative finance company, Ramp is NYC’s fastest-growing startup and America’s fastest-growing corporate card.
Check out our Engineering Blog for more on our tech stack, mission and values!
About the Role
Ramp is, at its core, an engineering company, and is on a mission to build the best engineering team! We are looking for front end, full stack and platform engineers who are excited to be part of our early story and help us build a diverse and vibrant tech community in the city. We hire engineers with a broad set of technical skills, who are highly cross-functional, and eager to solve a wide range of engineering challenges. Our ideal candidate has a strong sense of ownership and enjoys owning projects from inception to scaling it in production. We value people who take pride and ownership in their work, and show an aptitude for learning quickly whether they’re familiar with our stack or not. As an early employee, you’ll be working with a nimble team of committed and talented engineers and having a large, long-term impact on technical design and engineering culture.
What You'll Do
- Apply your prior experience and engineering skills to build new and scale up existing Ramp products: Card, Spend Management, BillPay, Reimbursements, Lending, Savings, Travel, etc. Help us break into the new verticals and opportunities.
- Design and contribute new features to Ramp Risk and Finance Platforms: Underwriting, Risk Management, Fraud detection and defenses, Payments, Capital Engineering, Accounting and other platforms. Help us scale our platforms so that today’s transaction volumes are tomorrow’s rounding errors.
- Continuously increase your ownership and deepen your expertise in both product and platform areas. Inspire and mentor young engineers and interns.
- Work and effectively communicate in a dynamic and fast moving environment across engineering, product, risk, growth and go-to-market to develop product and system specifications, metrics, KPIs and support procedures
- Contribute to roadmap and plans, help define and meet your team’s goals (OKRs).
- Work with product and business teams to incorporate customer feedback in order to constantly improve our product
- Continuously improve our engineering processes, tools, and systems that allow us to scale the code base, productivity, and the team
- Proactively engage with your peers and managers to provide and solicit feedback, recruit, interview engineering candidates and develop your own interview questions, foster the culture of excellence, velocity and humility.
What You'll Need
- Minimum 2 years of relevant work experience preferred
- Track record of shipping high-quality products and features at scale
- Ability to turn business and product ideas into engineering solutions
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment, continuously grow, and master your craft
- Alignment with Ramp’s core values of enabling businesses to grow more by spending less
Nice to Haves
- BS (or higher) in Computer Science or a related technical field, or equivalent technical experience
- Familiarity with or desire to learn our tech stack which includes, but not limited to: Python, Elixir, AWS, RabbitMQ, PostgreSQL, Redshift and DBT
- Passion for, or curiosity to learn, financial technology
About Our Teams
Ramp Benefits (for U.S. based employees)
- 100% medical, dental & vision insurance coverage for you
- Partially covered for your dependents
- OneMedical annual membership
- 401k (including employer match)
- Unlimited PTO
- Annual education reimbursement
- WFH stipend to support your home office needs
- Monthly wellness stipend; Headspace annual membership
- Parental Leave
- Relocation support
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄