Senior Software Engineer (Backend)
Textio (View all Jobs)
1. Initial screen to discuss experience and interest in a role at Textio 2. Take-home programming task is discussed during a 1-hour tech screen (on-site or remote) 3. Finally a larger take-home project, simulating real work, is discussed during an on-site presentation plus 1-1s; How we hire
$151,500 - $218,500.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Note: We support 100% remote work for applicants who reside in the following states: California, Colorado, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York, Oregon, Texas and Washington.
Textio embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports persons of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented and/or marginalized identities to apply.
Textio's mission is to build software that creates understanding between people. Our category-defining augmented writing platform has already transformed the way that thousands of companies write and hire, and we’re looking for a creative and experienced Backend Software Engineer to help build the scalable data platform underlying the user experiences our customers love.
2021 was the strongest year in Textio history. We shipped several new products and doubled the size of our customer base. 2022 promises to be even more exciting: more new products coming to market, an ambitious revenue plan, and substantial team growth.
As an engineer on the Platform Engineering team, you will collaborate closely with frontend engineers, data engineers, and the product team to define and create the suite of distributed services that power our products. Our team owns both stateless and stateful backend services and uses technologies such as Python, Docker, ECS, Lambda, AppSync, DynamoDB, and RDS.
Would you like to be a part of the entire lifecycle of building new products? This is a great opportunity to participate from early idea conception all the way through to using customer feedback to iterate and improve what you’ve built.
In this role you will:
- Design and develop high-performance web applications that run on AWS
- Create the large-scale batch data processing applications that comprise the data platform behind our products, including real-time insights from our machine learning models
- Build data integrations with third-party APIs that enable high-value customer experiences
- Develop tools that improve developer experience and velocity; our CI/CD pipeline is based on GitHub and CircleCI
- Evolve our infrastructure-as-code platform to maintain high availability, performance, and security
- Lead architecture discussions from the early exploration of ideas to deciding on a concrete path forward
- Mentor other team members and teach them what you have learned about running services in production at scale
- Work in small, empowered feature teams with teammates across Design, Product, Data Science, and Frontend Engineering to drive sophisticated features from start to finish
We would love to hear from you if:
- You have deep experience developing and operating cloud-based distributed systems
- You possess a strong breadth of experience with various data persistence layers and stateful/stateless application types
- You are comfortable with secure networking principles and AWS technologies for achieving them
- You love embracing some ambiguity and testing ideas by building
- You thrive in a culture that values collaboration, mentorship, and learning
- You are naturally curious about the technologies you use and take initiative to dive in, ask questions, and figure things out
- You have a point of view but are low ego
We are looking to build a truly diverse, equitable, and inclusive engineering team. We have a number of outstanding benefits to support that.
- We are a fully distributed team. Without a central office, everyone’s on an equal footing wherever you’re based. Our positions are open to residents of California, Colorado, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York, Oregon, Texas, and Washington.
- We offer flexible schedules and unlimited time off. Take vacations to recharge and work the schedule that makes sense for you. We’re about long-term growth and success, so that means working sustainably.
- We provide outstanding health care, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.
- Paid time to volunteer at non-profits. If you volunteer enough, we’ll match your hours with donations.
- On demand mentoring with Bravely.
The base salary range for this role’s listed level is currently $151,500 - $218,500. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data. We will provide more information on our benefits and equity upon requests. Sales roles are also eligible for incentive pay targeted up to or over 100% of the offered base salary (no cap). Disclosure as required by the Colorado Equal Pay for > Equal Work Act, C.R.S. § 8-5-101 et seq.
Textio embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. Textio will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you require accommodation please contact our recruiting team at email@example.com.
Working at Textio is outstanding. Learn more about our philosophy, benefits, and team at https://textio.com/careers/. Reach out and share your story with us!
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄