Cloud Software Engineer
Platform.sh (View all Jobs)
1. Remote Interview, Wide-Ranging discussions on many diverse subjects. 2. Remote interviews with team members.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Platform.sh is a groundbreaking hosting and development tool for web applications. We run dozens of cloud regions all over the world with a mix of clients, from individual developers running small development clusters to the biggest companies on earth, running some of their critical apps on us.
For its groundbreaking PaaS solution, https://platform.sh is looking for a Cloud Software Engineer with an interest in Python or Go, good understanding of Linux systems, and an ability to embrace the challenges of building robust, distributed systems.
There are many interesting challenges at Platform.sh that could use your attention:
- Our project backend allows customers to update their application with a Git push, or spin up a development environment in one step. We’re steadily adding more features to it.
- We maintain a wide selection of LXC, VM (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, OpenStack), and Docker images using concise, declarative manifests.
- We have a high container density in our industry, and we’re aiming to get it higher.
- We’ve been working hard on a fast, resilient, and cost-optimized observability framework to make system behavior transparent to us and our customers.
- We support customer applications that use many different programming languages, including Python, Ruby, NodeJS, PHP, Java, Elixir, and .NET.
- We want to explore many other areas, including auto-healing on high-availability clusters, the performance of our multi-protocol ssh proxy, improvements to our block storage layer built on Ceph, new features on the edge layer, and the great ideas you’ll bring with you when you join.
Skills & requirements:
- A curiosity about all things computer related, with a broad understanding of operating systems, system administration, networking, distributed systems, and version control, or strong expertise in one or more of those areas.
- Proficiency in Python or Go. We also love other languages, so if you’re interested in working with Python and Go and have expertise in a couple of other languages, we’d still like to hear from you.
Nice to Have:
- Strong knowledge of Git usage or internals
- Networking background (routing/protocols)
- Knowledge of practical security and cryptography
- Experience with C / C++ (we contribute to a bunch of upstream projects, like LXC) is a plus; love of C or C++ not required
- Good knowledge of how the Web works (hacking Nginx with Lua a plus). You may want to brush up on HTTP before the interview.
- Good understanding of how database systems and search engines work
- A good notion of distributed systems (consensus protocols like Raft/Paxos, eventual consistency models, gossip protocols)
- Experience with Debian packaging or system administration
If you’re preparing for the technical interview, it might be helpful to know that this role involves more systems engineering than application development. So knowing about system calls is more important than, say, knowing Django.
If you don't have all the required skills: we’re also looking for potential. We understand the importance of an active mind, and no one skill is more important to us than finding a good overall fit.
This is a remote job. Work from anywhere!
We’re a worldwide, distributed team looking for the best talent. Our remote model has been in practice and thriving since 2014. To us, remote work means flexibility and having truly diverse, global teams.
Company perks and benefits
- Leadership that cares
- A global team rich with culture and diversity
- An open work environment where your voice is encouraged. We can always find ways to do better and look forward to hearing your ideas.
- A product you can believe in. We’re changing the way companies develop and manage their web applications
- Wellness stipend of $300 a year
- Professional development budget of $800
- Tandem – a pool of linguists from around the world willing to help each other work on learning new languages
- $3,000 office budget at hire (computer is mandatory but spend the rest on things that help you work, from headphones to a wifi extender) and a welcome kit of branded swag
- A yearly global gift exchange - get paired up with someone 3,000 miles or kilometers away and share a part of your home
- We’re voted as A Best Place to Work. 96% of employees think Platform.sh is a great place to work
- Company-wide DE&I initiative that you can be a part of
- Yearly, international, company-wide meetups (when we're not experiencing a pandemic)
- Fair PTO based on your country’s standards
- Inclusive parental leave (timeline is country-dependent)
- Remote working/flexibility
- Healthcare, dental, and vision (US, CA, UK and FR staff only)
- Matched contributions to 401K/RRSP (US and Canada staff only)
- Extra compensation for on-call ops and support staff
- Company shares (discretionary)
- Unlimited Platform.sh accounts
- 6 months of individual coaching for all new managers
About our recruitment process
We don’t expect a great hire to meet every requirement we have listed. If you can see yourself elevating the team we want to hear about your story. Few of us would be here had we not taken a chance.
You can expect 1-4 interviews on Google Meet. We leave the process fairly customizable to teams and roles, so in some scenarios we’re able to streamline the process to have minimal rounds. Expect a higher number of rounds for director level roles and above.
Additionally, you can schedule coffee chats with potential future peers while you’re in the recruitment process to see if you can envision working together. Use interview and coffee time to make sure the company aligns with your best working environment.
All roles require background checks.
About our software
We are the most unified, secure, enterprise-grade platform for building, running and scaling fleets of websites and applications. Platform.sh is trusted by 5,000+ organizations globally to create the best digital experiences.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄