Senior Software Engineer, API Infrastructure
Mapbox (View all Jobs)
1. Conversational interviews 2. Paid onsite project with team.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Mapbox is building a live location platform. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data. Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, tracking your personal best mile on Strava, sending snaps on Snapchat, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world.
What We Do
At Mapbox, all the APIs that power our public-facing Maps, Navigation, and Search products, as well as countless internal systems, run as containers on a centralized Compute Platform. Our team manages this compute platform, making our role critical to the cost efficiency, performance, and reliability of all Mapbox products. The Compute Platform is built on top of AWS's ECS container orchestration service, employs novel uses of AWS EC2 Spot, integrates with Fargate Spot, and runs in over 9 AWS regions. We empower Mapbox engineering teams to run the APIs that are core to Mapbox’s business with cost efficiency, scalability, and operational excellence.
We are distributed across North America, both in the US and Canada. We work very effectively remotely and are proud of our collaborative team environment that fosters growth and engagement.
What you’ll do
You will join our team to accelerate feature development of our compute platform and assist teams in migrating from container instances to Fargate. In this role, you can expect to:
- Work on the infrastructure that powers our major Maps, Navigation and Search API services which handle billions of requests per hour
- Promote a culture of operational excellence by being on call and meticulously testing and monitoring all changes you and the team make to our systems
- Support internal customers by not only shipping features to our products that address their needs but also working across teams to advise on optimal implementations
- Document your work and decision-making processes with excellent context on tickets, detailed explanations on code changes, and by leading presentations and discussions in a way that ensures knowledge is shared transparently with other engineers
What we believe are important traits for this role
- Proven ability to design and develop sophisticated, efficient, and durable infrastructure on AWS
- Experience with our tech stack (node.js, Docker and AWS)
- Experience with API services at scale
- Track record of building self-service and high-quality tools for developers with a customer-driven mindset
- A desire to share your expertise through documentation, mentorship, and both written and vocal discussion
- A desire to work with individuals with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences
- Autonomy and proactivity around driving work to completion in the face of ambiguity
- Experience with Kubernetes is a plus
- AWS certification is a plus
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄