Koala (View all Jobs)
1. Phone screen 2. Open-ended take-home coding challenge 3. Pair Programming exercise 4. Meet the CEO and the rest of team.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Koala is a commerce platform with a focus on premium ordering channels for hospitality brands. Our products allow restaurants to directly serve their customers while driving more revenue and greater guest satisfaction. We work with some of the world’s most-loved restaurant brands and fastest-growing new concepts!
Koala is seeking a Full-Stack Software Engineer to join our team of talented engineers, designers, and product managers in building products that make ordering simple and enjoyable. The perfect candidate is a natural problem solver and leader who is dedicated to product and code quality.
At Koala we believe in exposing people to all parts of the web stack. As such, we’re looking for people eager to grow and learn. There are no silos, and we want to give everyone the opportunity to program both within and outside their comfort zone - backend, analytics, native iOS/Android, even hardware.
THIS ROLE IS FOR YOU IF:
- You are team oriented and prefer working closely with other disciplines in a fast paced and innovative environment.
- You are excited about the prospect of building web applications and backend systems that are used by millions of customers and can scale as we grow.
- You understand what it takes to build web applications, not websites.
- You consider the broader impacts of your work through; building accessible UI, quality & testing patterns, code readability, documentation and considering security, performance and data integrity concerns.
- You enjoy digging into everything from databases to CSS to solve problems.
- You understand and use source control and project tracking software.
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING:
- Working on evolving our web ordering application to be dynamically configurable and revolutionize the food ordering ecommerce experience.
- Contribute to the development and live operation of our frontend app and backend APIs.
- Breaking down features into both frontend and backend components.
- Observing backend and frontend system performance and identifying emerging problems.
- Writing clean, testable, scalable, and peer-reviewed code.
- Unleash the velocity of our team and systems with processes and implementations that allow us to ship quicker, fail faster, and isolate the blast radius of changes.
- Exhibiting good judgment, seeking out diverse perspectives, and challenging business and technical assumptions.
- Consistently delivering to meet commitments.
- 4 years of professional engineering experience.
- Experience building dynamic applications with React especially building responsive layouts that consume JSON APIs.
- Experience building and designing backend API services preferably using a framework like Laravel, Ruby on Rails, Django, Express.js, or Nest.js.
- Prepared to make significant contributions in both frontend and backend domains.
- Ability to convey technical concepts clearly via non-technical language.
EVEN BETTER IF YOU...
- Have experience working in the food-ordering space.
- Love creating intuitive and thoughtful app experiences.
- Have a passion for learning new technologies and new programming languages.
WE USE & TEACH:
- React, Redux, Sagas, Styled Components
- MySQL, Redis
- Datadog, Sentry
Koala provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other protected classification. Equal employment opportunity includes but is not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, demotion, transfer, leaves of absence, and termination. Koala takes allegations of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation seriously and will promptly investigate when such behavior is reported.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄