Linux Enablement - Software Engineering Manager
Canonical (View all Jobs)
Office Based - Taipei, Taiwan
1. Review your open source contributions at shortlist stage. 2. 4x60m interviews over Hangouts, each of which is carried out blind (none of the interviewers talk to each other until the final review). The company is fully remote, so there is no on-site.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Canonical's Device Delivery Team works with tier-1 OEM and ODM customers to pre-load Ubuntu Desktop and Ubuntu Core, bringing Ubuntu directly to millions of users.
As a Software Engineering Manager you will lead and manage the software engineering team to deliver OEM enablement projects. This fast-paced environment requires excellent time management, deep knowledge of the Linux system, low-level debugging, critical thinking, problem-solving skills and management ability.
- Recruit, motivate, mentor, and enable your team to succeed in delivering quality products
- Set goals with the team; prioritize tasks, identify and measure team health indicators
- Maximise the results of team members and support their career growth
- Coordinate with project managers, HWE, QA and certification management
- Monitor projects from kickoff to post-mortem and handle escalations
- Communicate, understand, and resolve the technical challenge with OEMs, ODMs, SiPs, IHVs
- Prioritize customer requests globally
- Collaborate with product engineering teams (including Desktop, Foundations, Kernel, and Security)
- Provide leadership for methodologies, strategies, standards, tools, and best practices
- Must be able to travel to the EU, USA, China, and Taiwan; (after covid-19 restrictions lift)
Required skills and experience
- A Bachelor (or higher) degree in STEM, preferably computer science or software engineering
- Proven track record in technical roles with Linux, preferably Ubuntu or Debian
- Commitment to development and testing methodologies, and maintainable code quality
- Experience with management responsibilities
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to be productive in a globally distributed team through self-discipline and self-motivation
- Commitment and energy to deliver on schedule
- Strong English and Chinese language communication skills, both written and verbal
Desirable skills and experience
- Making technical decisions for a team as a tech lead
- Software architecture and design experience
- Software development or operations experience with: Ubuntu - kernel and userspace, deb/snap packaging, QEMU/KVM, LXC/LXD, Containers, Python, Go, C, bash, Postgresql, Mongo, Kubernetes, OpenStack, Ceph, AI/ML
- Participation in open-source development projects
- Experience with CI/CD
Canonical is an equal opportunity employer
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄