Python Engineering Manager
Canonical (View all Jobs)
Home based - Americas, EMEA
1. Review your open source contributions at shortlist stage. 2. 4x60m interviews over Hangouts, each of which is carried out blind (none of the interviewers talk to each other until the final review). The company is fully remote, so there is no on-site.
Programming Languages Mentioned
An exciting opportunity for an exceptional open source leader passionate about Python, open source software and cloud-native computing. In this role you’ll be responsible for designing and maintaining a Python framework and surrounding technologies that allow for the creation and management of software operators.
In this role we value strong technical leadership, rigorous design and a thirst for delivering a great developer experience and high quality code. A track record of interacting with, and leading open source communities is a valuable trait.
You’ll work closely with other teams in Canonical to ensure the framework provides a reliable, easy-to-use solution that scales to production workloads and meets the needs of our customers looking to adopt cutting-edge technology.
To succeed in this application you must be outstanding at maths and sciences, and have built high quality software, learned about open source ideally by working on it directly, and be looking for an engineering management role with a company that makes mission-critical products for the global market. You should also be familiar with the open source environment, and want to build products in partnership with a community.
As an engineering manager, you must also have excellent judgement about people - their motivations, abilities, developmental needs and prospects for success.
Engineering at Canonical requires hands-on code contribution and review, as well as architectural leadership. You will need to demonstrate insight into performance and quality engineering practices and ensure your team embraces effective disciplines on both fronts. You will need to be comfortable holding contributors accountable for work ethic and results. You must also have an understanding of security practices and principles and the impact that engineering choices have on product security.
We expect teams to deliver well-documented products and work with design professionals to shape the product experience. You should relish the opportunity to shape and direct and develop an engineering team that is happy and brilliant, and produces a product that will be a pleasure to use and to evolve.
What you’ll do
- You will lead a team in building a framework that supports all of Canonical's cloud operations
- You will build and manage a globally distributed team of engineers through hiring, coaching, mentoring, feedback and hands-on career development
- You will demonstrate sound engineering principles by directly contributing toward your team’s goals
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices and help develop and evangelise great engineering and organisational practices
- Ensure that your team delivers great products that users love by maintaining a culture of quality and engineering excellence
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values
- Be an active part of the leadership team and collaborate with other leaders in the organisation
- Work from home with global travel up to 20% for internal and external events
Who you are
- You have an extensive background in Python software engineering, demonstrating sound design
- You have experience developing open source libraries and frameworks, understanding the importance of stable consumable APIs
- You love embracing new technologies and pushing the boundaries of what is possible, with a view to building products that improve how people operate software and infrastructure everywhere
- You love developing and growing people and have a track record of doing it
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development
- You have experience in leading, managing, coaching and mentoring software developers towards delivering timely, high quality software together with them
- You have solid experience working in an agile development environment
Canonical is proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄