Senior Data Engineer
NerdWallet (View all Jobs)
San Francisco, CA or Remote (Based in the U.S.)
1. Code review phone screen 2. On-site project to build a functioning app with interviewee's platform of choice
Programming Languages Mentioned
NerdWallet is on a mission to provide the tools, information, and insight people need to navigate all of life's financial decisions. As a fast growing company, we are preparing for a future of tremendous growth and transformation. We are transforming our Data Engineering practice to enable the company’s success by building a solid data foundation. We are looking for Staff Data Engineers to lead design of large scale, high-performance data processing systems (batch and/or streaming) to drive Nerdwallet’s growth. You will be a combination of a strong data engineering background with data systems design skills.
Come join this team of highly motivated engineers to build data orchestration pipelines, and help generate business insights, break data roadblocks and answer challenges for this fast growing organization.
Where you can make an impact:
- Driving the data strategy and important data projects for NerdWallet including building a new data warehouse platform with a flexible data model challenging the “traditional” approach to Data Warehousing.
- Experienced with problem formulation: You have translated ambiguous business problems to appropriate data projects, activities, and tasks in the platform, engineering, analytics, visualization and automation space in alignment with overall business strategy.
- Experienced with data governance: You have interpreted company and regulatory policies on data, establishes, educates & implements data governance processes, practices, policies, and guidelines in partnership with business stakeholders and peers.
- Experienced in data transformation and integration: You have designed and built highly sustainable and scalable infrastructure required for optimal transformation and integration from a wide variety of data sources using appropriate data integration technologies and tools.
- Experienced with data modeling and architecture: You have defined data modeling standards and foundational Architectural best practices, organized complex data from various data sources and built logical and conceptual models and guided the team on physical data models and have taken ownership of data engineering architecture and lead design .
- Proficient with code development and testing: You have created proof of concepts, established coding standards, and have built and reviewed the final solution and application design to ensure it meets business, technical, data and compliance requirements.
- Knowledgeable on data strategy: You have driven the execution of multiple data projects by identifying business and operational needs, priorities, removing barriers, maintaining performance standards, developing contingency plans and demonstrating adaptability and embracing continuous learning. You have ensured business needs are met by evaluating the ongoing effectiveness of current plans, programs, and initiatives; consulting with business partners, managers, co-workers, or other key stakeholders; soliciting, evaluating, and applying suggestions for improving efficiency and cost effectiveness; and participating in and supporting community outreach events.
- Able to clearly communicate with the business: You have mature written and verbal communication skills, including gathering diverse viewpoints and proactively seeking feedback from cross functional teams. You are able to coach and mentor junior and senior data engineers. You are able to advise managers and directors on technical trade-offs.
We recognize not everyone will meet all of the criteria. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- 7+ years of relevant experience.
- Experience designing, building and operating robust data systems with reliable monitoring and logging practices.
- Effectively work across team boundaries to establish overarching data architecture, and provide guidance to individual teams.
- Working knowledge of relational databases and query performance tuning (SQL).
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science or Math a plus.
- 5+ years of experience with AWS, SnowFlake, RedShift, big data technologies, with knowledge of streaming technologies such as Storm, Kafka, Kinesis, and Flume is preferred.
- This role will be based in San Francisco, CA or remote (based in the U.S.).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
Work Hard, Stay Balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- Industry-leading medical, dental, and vision health care plans for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + 13 holidays + 4 Mental Health Days Off
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Financial wellness, guidance, and unlimited access to a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) through Northstar
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA Plan with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga, and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend, Cell Phone Stipend, and Wifi Stipend
Have Some Fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity, and Inclusion, Women, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours, and team events across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you're remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self - we’ll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward – Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- Work from home equipment stipend and co-working space subsidy
- Anniversary recognition program – choose from different items and experiences
- Commuting stipend
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read this important information for California residents linked here.
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄