AMER: Senior Backend Engineer - Data Ingestion
Algolia (View all Jobs)
1. Take-home project 2. Onsite discussions and presentation
Programming Languages Mentioned
Algolia is set to enable every company to create world-class Search and Discovery experiences with an API-first approach. Performance and Scalability is at the heart of our mission: we power 1.5 trillion searches a year, for 10K+ customers all over the world.
If you're a problem solver, able to think outside the box and eager to nurture others and learn from them, then this is your challenge!
The Data Ingestion team ensures a frictionless flow of data between customers and Algolia’s platform. This new group will provide a platform for Algolia products to collect, compose, and consume data.
Data ingestion is a mission-critical capability for the Algolia product platform. At its core, Algolia is a data company. The products and services that drive the most value for Algolia depend on access to customer data. That means the speed and ease at which customers can send their data to Algolia can heavily influence the success of onboarding a new customer, expanding to a new use case, or adopting new features.
The team is looking for an experienced individual who is well versed in defining, building and operating scalable architectures, with proven strengths in cross-team collaboration, taking solutions all the way through delivery to adoption by other engineering teams.
As a senior member of the Data ingestion team, you will have a direct impact on Algolia’s revenue stream. You will play a pivotal role in architecting and implementing systems that play a central role across all of Algolia’s products. You will also play a role in training/mentoring and leading team members.
Your role will consist of:
- Build a self-service, scalable and distributed platform that can seamlessly scale to handle billions of records per day
- Build data pipelines for collection, storage, processing, and analysis of data
- Build integrations with external APIs, connectors and services: eq. Firebase, Shopify, etc.
- Work closely with the rest of the R&D team to deliver the tools they need to develop next-generation products
You might be a fit if you have:
- Experience building and operating distributed systems at scale
- Experience designing and building data pipelines
- Experience designing new applications with reliability, operability, and availability in mind
- Experience with Public Cloud Providers such as GCP, AWS or Microsoft Azure
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- Experience at our current stage and beyond ($50-200M ARR range, high growth, lots of change and building internal infrastructure).
We’re looking for someone who can live our values:
- GRIT - Problem-solving and perseverance capability in an ever-changing and growing environment
- TRUST - Willingness to trust our co-workers and to take ownership
- CANDOR - Ability to receive and give constructive feedback.
- CARE - Genuine care about other team members, our clients and the decisions we make in the company.
- HUMILITY- Aptitude for learning from others, putting ego aside.
Team’s current stack:
- Golang, GCP/GKE, pubsub, bigquery, bigtable, CircleCI, terraform
- API Clients: JS, Java, Scala, Go, Python, C#, Ruby, Swift, Kotlin, RoR, Symfony, Laravel
- NodeJS, TS, React, Shopify Polaris
Algolia’s workplace strategy, Hybrid Remote, is designed to harness the power of the opportunities that remote work offers both employees and the company, while also providing an engaging in-office experience for the times when an employee is in an office. Our workplace approach reflects the belief that an employee’s impact, contribution, and output are more important than their physical location.
The majority of employees will be able to choose if, and when, they come into an office on a regular basis. There will be times when our people are asked to come into an office for “moments that matter:” activities like critical planning meetings and team social gatherings. Beyond those events, 80% of our workforce may choose the location from where they work in the country in which they were hired.
We have physical offices in San Francisco, NYC, Atlanta, Paris, London, Austin, and Bucharest. https://www.algolia.com/about/
Algolia prides itself on being a pioneer and market leader offering an AI-powered, API-First Search & Discovery platform that empowers 12,000+ businesses to compose customer experiences at internet scale that predict what their users want with blazing fast search and web browse experience. Algolia powers more than 30 billion search requests a week – four times more than Microsoft Bing, Yahoo, Baidu, Yandex and DuckDuckGo combined.
Algolia is part of a cadre of innovative new companies that are driving the next generation of software development, creating APIs that make developers’ lives easier; solutions that are better than building from scratch and better than having to tweak monolithic SaaS solutions.
In 2021, the company closed $150 million in series D funding and quadrupled its post-money valuation of $2.25 billion. Being well capitalized enables Algolia to continue to invest in its market leading platform, to better serve its thousands of customers–including Under Armor, Petsmart, Stripe, Gymshark, and Walgreens, to name just a few.
The team is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Paris, London, New York, Austin, Atlanta, and Bucharest. To learn more, visit www.algolia.com.
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
We’re looking for talented, passionate people to build the world’s best search & discovery technology. As an ownership-driven company, we seek team members who thrive within an environment based on autonomy and diversity. We're committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace. We care about each other and the world around us, and embrace talented people regardless of their race, age, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, color, veteran status, disability and socioeconomic background.
READY TO APPLY?
If you share our values and our enthusiasm for building the world’s best search & discovery technology, we’d love to review your application!
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄