Senior Data Engineer
Samsara (View all Jobs)
Bay Area, Atlanta, or Remote - US/Canada
1. Phone interview 2. Onsite interview (technical challenges based on real problems we've faced at Samsara)
Programming Languages Mentioned
SQL, R, Python, ETL
Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Founded in San Francisco in 2015, we now employ more than 1,800 people globally and have over 1.5 million active devices. Samsara also went public in December 2021 and we’re just getting started.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
- #2 in the Financial Times’ Fastest Growing Companies in Americas list 2021
- Named as a Best Place to Work in Built In 2022
- #19 in the Forbes Cloud 100 2021
- IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
- Forbes Advisor named us the Best Solution for Large Companies - Fleet management software for 2022!
We're driving change in industries that are yet to fully embrace digital transformation. Physical operations make up a massive slice of the global economy but haven’t benefited from innovation and actionable information in the way that other sectors have. The potential for scale and impact is huge.
About the role:
Samsara is seeking an experienced senior data engineer to join our Data Engineering team.
Samsara has hundreds of thousands of devices deployed throughout the world and over 20,000 customers using our cloud based products. This results in a vast amount of data in our central data lake / warehouse.
Our overall goal on the Data Engineering team is to make sure the rest of the company has the correct data sets needed to efficiently and accurately do analysis, train models, and build dashboards off of our product data.
The team is responsible for building data pipelines, primarily in SparkSQL and Pyspark, that exist in our data lake. Our data lake is primary delta/parquet tables on S3, which we process through Databricks. This team has access to all of the “raw” data collected throughout our products. Given we are an IoT company, that’s a lot of data that can be hard for the rest of the company to make sense of. This team becomes deeply familiar with the product and our data in order to build the right tables that the rest of the company can use.
The team works closely with the following teams:
- Data analytics: to build golden data sets that are ready for dashboarding and analytics
- Data engineers across the company (e.g Marketing, Sales): on how to best build pipelines and dashboards off of our product data.
- Data Scientists: on which data sets to use for training and their workflows
Note that there are other data engineering teams throughout Samsara. This team is our product Data Engineering team within R&D, focused on data collected in Samsara products.
In this role, you will:
- Build highly reliable computed tables (including unstructured data like video and audio) combining and transforming data across multiple sources, including Samsara sensor data and customer metadata
- Use Python to access, manipulate, and join external datasets to internal data (e.g., via REST APIs, Pyspark)
- Work closely with stakeholders across the company from product engineers, data scientists, customer support, finance, and more, to build data pipelines that solve business needs
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices
Minimum requirements for this role:
- BA / MS degree in Computer Science, Statistics, or related discipline
- 4+ years experience in data engineering focused team
- Experience with standing up ETL pipelines to handle massive volumes of data
- Experience working with Spark-based data platforms
- Strong proficiency in SQL, Python, and working with REST APIs
- Knowledge of software engineering fundamentals; high level of comfort reading and understanding full-stack / backend development code (e.g., our Go code base)
- Familiarity managing code via git/GitHub or other code versioning tool
An ideal candidate also has:
- Some experience with time series data, including late arriving data
- Experience with product / first party data
- Familiarity with Databricks and running jobs/notebooks there
- 6+ years experience in data engineering focused team
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email email@example.com or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit regular testing. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Our target total compensation market position is in the top 25% of all software and hardware companies. Our full time employees receive an above market-rate salary, an outstanding equity offering, employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, personal development, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants. As most roles are not required to be in the office, we are able to hire remotely where Samsara has an established presence. If a role is required to be in a certain location and candidates do not have work authorization for that location, Samsara will conduct an immigration assessment. If the role is not required to be in a specific location, Samsara will move forward with the remote location that works best for the business. All offers of employment are contingent upon an individual’s ability to secure and maintain the legal right to work at the company.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄