Product Data Scientist (NY)
Philo (View all Jobs)
Brooklyn, New York or remote
1. Initial screen with deep-dive into one of your recent projects (30 mins) 2. Take-home coding exercise tailored your skills (4 hours) 3. On-site with take-home code review, architecture interview, design interview and "soft skills"interview (4 hours)
Programming Languages Mentioned
R, SQL, Python
Philo: TV on the Internet (TVoIP)
At Philo, we’re a group of technology and product people who set out to build the future of television, marrying the best in modern technology with the most compelling medium ever invented — in short, we’re building the TV experience that we’ve always wanted for ourselves. In practice this means leveraging cloud delivery, modern tech stacks, machine learning, and hand-crafted native app experiences on all of our platforms. We aim to deliver a rock solid experience on the streaming basics, while cooking up next generation multi-screen and multi-user playback experiences.
Data Science at Philo
Data underpins everything we do at Philo: making informed business decisions; analyzing and improving the quality of our streaming experience; running product experiments to optimize our signup flows; and making it easier for our users to find the perfect thing to watch. On the Data Science team, we’re looking for someone who is comfortable working on a variety of interesting growth, engagement, and retention-related problems across our streaming service. You’ll be working closely with other data scientists and engineers to build and deploy solutions directly for our service. We are passionate about problem-solving and providing data-informed insights for the entire company using both cutting-edge techniques and proven practices in close collaboration with every department.
Some of the recent projects our Data Science team members have worked on include:
- Development of multi-touch attribution models in R
- Creation of minimum detectable effect calculators for experiment sizing
- Deploying new content recommendation engines
- Identification of trending regional content
- Price sensitivity research and competitive market analyses
Philo is seeking a Data Scientist with demonstrated understanding of statistical modeling, SQL, and experience independently developing data driven insights. This data scientist will have the opportunity to leverage massive structured, unstructured, transactional, and real-time data sets from a variety of sources, analyze financial and customer usage patterns, and make actionable recommendations to product, marketing, engineering, and business development teams. This is a perfect role for those looking to further their experience in Data Science and make an immediate impact on the business.
- Collaborate with the engineering team on data structure to support advanced analysis of customer and potential customer behaviors (influenced by product features and marketing activity)
- Collaborate on KPIs, own and manage regular reports for tracking progress
- Design, build, and maintain automated dashboards that connect data from internal and external data sources to support reporting, data discovery and statistical analysis that inform product priorities and business decisions
- Develop predictive models to understand key drivers of high value customer behavior and support personalization initiatives
- Deliver quick insights on ad hoc projects and analyses as necessary
- Own your analytics projects, proactively identify issues and opportunities, test hypotheses, and propose solutions
- 6-10+ years of experience in a Data Science or Analytics role
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- Ability to explain and present analytical methodology and results to non-technical audiences
- Hands-on experience with statistical software (R, Python)
- Strong analytics fundamentals – a degree in statistics, economics, a related field, or similar professional experience
More about Philo
We strive to build engaging and easy to use streaming apps across a large number of platforms (Android Mobile, Android tablets, Android TV, Amazon FireTV, Roku, iOS, Apple TV, and web), while delivering a large variety of content to our users.
Today there are over 60 channels included in our basic package -- our lineup includes many popular cable networks, like A&E, Accuweather, Animal Planet, AXS TV, BBC America, BET, Cheddar, ComedyCentral, CMT, Discovery Channel, Food Network, Game Show Network, Hallmark, HGTV, IFC, INSP,Lifetime, MTV, Newsy, Nickelodeon, OWN, Paramount Network, Sundance, TV One, Vice and VH1. We also offer premium add-on channels from Starz and Epix, and we’re always adding more content!
We’re a company that puts people first — both our subscribers and our team. At Philo, our philosophy is to empower our colleagues to do their best work while supporting each other in pursuing shared goals. We value pragmatism, pride in our work, and passion. We believe in having transparency and openness across all parts of the company. We are committed to diversity and inclusion as we grow the Philo team and shape the future of TV -- we believe that a diverse set of voices and perspectives on our team enables us to innovate faster and create the best experience for our subscribers.
Philo is headquartered in San Francisco, with additional offices in New York and Cambridge, MA. Our leadership team includes a cofounder of Facebook as well as alums of Meraki and HBO. Philo is backed by NEA and industry partners including Discovery, Viacom, AMC, and A&E.
Projected Start Date: ASAP
Location: NY, Boston, San Francisco, or remote
Compensation: Includes annual salary between $130K-$210K depending on experience and location, company stock options, and health benefits.
We value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives. Philo is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone does their best work when they are supported by each other and the company, and we offer a generous set of benefits to make sure the Philo team is happy and healthy. Here is a sampling of the benefits we offer our team:
- Full health, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
- Flexible working hours
- Generous paid parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off for vacation and sick leave
- $2000 annual vacation bonus (we pay you to take a two week vacation)
- $5000 annually for professional development and educational assistance
- $500 “TV stipend” for new employees to upgrade their home watching setup
- $1000 annual home office stipend for employees to upgrade their home work setup
- $500/month ($6,000/year) bonus for employees who commit to working at least 3 days per week in our offices
- Dog-friendly office
- And much more!
For California Residents: Philo’s CCPA Notice at Collection – Employees, Applicants, Owners, Directors, Officers and Contractors
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄