Novus Partners (View all Jobs)
1. Take-home exercise 2. On-site exercises (choice of laptop or whiteboard)
Programming Languages Mentioned
SEI Novus is a portfolio intelligence platform where asset owners and asset managers interact with their investments and with each other. We help investors enrich and manage their data, extract actionable investment insights, and improve stakeholder communication via visualization and automation. We strive to be the center of the institutional investment ecosystem: where the world’s greatest investors gather to manage their portfolios and engage with one another.
$120 trillion is invested annually on behalf pensions, endowments, sovereign funds, private investors, and family offices. These groups strive to affect the world in unique ways—be it through funding scholarships, protecting pensions, establishing charitable foundations, supporting medical research, preserving wealth, and more.
Unfortunately, many of these institutions are using outdated and disconnected tools to manage their portfolios. SEI Novus offers comprehensive solutions for the multi-asset class portfolio. By providing a single platform that streamlines data processes, quantifies investment skill, uncovers bias, and helps investors plan more accurately, we are helping investors amplify their impact.
If the following sounds like you, we look forward to getting to know you —
- You're looking to join a fast-paced team that will mentor and support you as you take on challenging projects.
- You understand that deadlines and goals – even if self-imposed – are what help businesses succeed.
- You appreciate direct, unvarnished feedback – you know it will help you grow.
- The thought of deploying code to production several times day excites you. You know it’s better to "fail fast" than to never ship at all.
- You enjoy mastering your craft, but also love learning about technologies and tools outside your core expertise.
- You don't take yourself too seriously and know the importance of bringing some levity to an otherwise tense situation.
What You’ll Do
You’ll join our team as Platform Engineer supporting the core SEI Novus product, Alpha Platform. This role will expose you to a wide range of cloud-native technologies with the opportunity to make a direct impact on the business by providing our users fast response times and continuous deployments with no application downtime or disruptions. We want to add another “9” of availability and you will help us get there.
SEI Novus is a small team within SEI Global, so we need our engineers to take ownership of their projects. You’ll see through projects all the way from planning to production.
- Become an expert in our application architecture, a JVM application deployed to Kubernetes on AWS.
- Learn about our stack: HTML5, Scala, MySQL, Redis, Artemis and AWS technologies.
- Collaborate across the entire organization, including backend engineers, data operations team, client services and product managers.
- Develop familiarity with financial concepts core to our business.
Critical Skills / Abilities
Our ideal candidate is a back-end engineer who wants to expand their skills into platform engineering and cloud infrastructure.
- Recently have written backend JVM (Java, Scala, etc.) code.
- Have at least one war story about patching a JVM application to improve production performance.
- Have puzzled over a database query plan to figure out why a SQL query was running for minutes - and then fixed it.
- Be eager to expand your skills into application deployment / infrastructure tasks and technologies.
Also, you may have played around with or have experience with:
- AWS or other public clouds - or a Platform-as-a-Service such as Heroku.
- Monitoring tools such as Prometheus, Grafana, Graylog and DataDog.
- Front-end performance optimization and concepts, i.e. web vitals and Google Lighthouse
- CI/CD tools such as Jenkins or Bamboo.
Finally, this role requires working with Kubernetes, Helm and Terraform. However, prior experience is not required - just willingness to learn quickly and be constantly outside your comfort zone.
The base salary for this position is $140,000/yr - $185,000/yr. This position will also be eligible to earn a discretionary bonus each year, subject to company approval.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄