Engineering Manager (Media)
Axios (View all Jobs)
1. Take-home project 2. Follow-up of take-home, involving a discussion.
$160,000 - $220,000
Quick take: Axios is a growth-stage company dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We’re hiring remote Engineering Managers for our media engineering team!
Why it matters: Our team enables our mission of delivering the cleanest, smartest, most efficient and trustworthy content to our users. As well as building great new products for our readers and newsroom, we’re also embarking on an ambitious transformation strategy to modernize our tech stack and deployment processes. To do that, we plan to approximately double our team of ~15 engineers this year. We need engineering managers to ensure the folks we bring on are adequately supported to do their best work.
Go deeper: In this role, you will make an impact to Axios through the following responsibilities:
- Directly supporting individual engineers through 1:1s, coaching, and feedback.
- Helping cross-functional teams work productively, with effective prioritisation and resourcing.
- Helping to hire and onboard a diverse team of individual contributors, and actively fostering an inclusive environment.
- Creating processes that help engineers focus, rather than feel impeded.
- Helping maintain a culture that balances healthy urgency with the need for downtime and recuperation.
- Helping facilitate a large technical migration while ensuring our teams continue to deliver value to our customers.
The details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for Axios’ mission and preferably have many of the following skills:
- 3-7 years of experience leading engineering teams. This is not a role for a first-time manager.
- A great understanding of how software development succeeds and fails, and a willingness to experiment with your teams to do more of the former.
- A track record of treating engineers as humans, rather than fungible resources.
- Excellent listening and communication skills that translate well to a remote work environment.
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Company-sponsored access to Ginger coaching and mental health support
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- ClassPass discount
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Base salary for this role is in the range of $160,000 - $220,000 and is dependent on numerous factors, including but not limited to location, work experience, and skills. This range does not include other compensation benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄