Senior Software Engineer, Security
Carta (View all Jobs)
Seattle, WA; San Francisco, CA; Santa Clara, CA; New York, NY; Remote, USA
1. Chat with recruiter 2. Chat with one of our engineering leaders 3. Take home assignment that is not timed ( thinking about code production quality in arriving to a solution) 4. Virtual onsite (5 sessions: take home follow up discussion, architecture and design white boarding, chat with a product manager, chat about teamwork, and another meeting with hiring manager ~ about 4 hours) 5. Team matching (non-evaluative)
Programming Languages Mentioned
The Company You’ll Join
Carta is a platform that helps people manage equity, build businesses, and invest in the companies of tomorrow. Our mission is to unlock the power of equity ownership for more people in more places.
Carta is trusted by more than 30,000 companies and over half a million employees in nearly 150 countries to manage cap tables, compensation, and valuations. Carta also supports over 5,000 funds representing over $100B in assets under administration with their venture capital solutions. Carta’s liquidity solutions have returned $13B to shareholders in secondary transactions. Today Carta’s platform manages over two trillion dollars in equity for nearly two million people globally. Companies and funds like Canva, Tribe, and Pipe build their businesses on Carta.
The company has been included on the Forbes World’s Best Cloud Companies, Fast Company's Most Innovative list, and Inc.’s Fastest-Growing Private Companies. For more information, visit carta.com.
The Team You’ll Work With
This role is on the Security Engineering team within Security. You will be working with the team to take on projects which gather results from many sources, automatically build security into our product, and enable teams to secure themselves. Our risk models put teams in charge of owning risk, making us a trusted partner and reporter. To complete this mission we need people who are passionate about software development and automation - security minded full stack software engineers. We believe in creating teams not rockstars, progress with a path to perfection, and create an environment that fosters research. We measure success not by how many bugs you find or tasks you complete, but by how much risk you reduce in the organization and how you work to improve the security of those around you.
We get to work in an environment that uses infrastructure-as-code, Kubernetes, role-based access, and with engineers who care about the integrity and security of our data.
The Problems You’ll Solve
Some of the problems you’ll help us solve are:
- Help improve the existing security staff tools ranges from organizational risk management, to audit and permission system that aims to better protect consumer data access
- Design, develop and integrate custom SDL tools to improve the usability of security
- Work across the full technology stack (e.g., AWS, Kubernetes, Docker, Helm, CircleCI, Jenkins, Datadog and gRPC, etc.) to solve security, privacy, and compliance issues
- How do you encourage developers to continuously think about security using gamification and giving them results where they live - in the pipeline?
- How do we change the application framework to make security the easiest path?
The Impact You'll Have
You will play a meaningful role in building Carta’s next-gen security development program, leading the technical conversation, making design decisions and building large-scale, complex software. You will work with different groups across the company to address a set of ambiguous security challenges by collecting and analyzing data, proposing solutions in the form of engineering designs based on the findings and own the delivery. Your work will span across technologies, stacks, and languages, and you’ll help ensure a safe and secure workplace for all Cartans.
Roll-up-your sleeves, “swiss army knife” individual who is able to:
- Find non-standard ways to solve interesting problems
- Grow the skills and careers of software engineers on the security team
- Have knowledge of current security threats, trends, and mitigations
- Act as a force multiplier when driving projects in a collaborative environment
- Have interests in security and thinking about how things can go wrong
- Influence stakeholders across teams to get buy-in for your solution
- Break down complex projects into components or milestones that can easily be completed by other engineers
- Cross train others, including guiding and mentoring other developers
- Building new products from scratch and having the breadth and depth of skills to actually make it happen.
- Partner cross-functionally with teams that support rapid identification, incident response and mitigation of threats
- Work with cloud-native architectures
- Secure products built using containerization (specifically, Docker and Kubernetes)
**Role can be based in NYC, SF, Seattle, Santa Clara or Remote
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing a positive interview experience for every candidate. If accommodations due to a disability or medical condition are needed, connect with us via email at email@example.com. As a company, we value fairness, helpfulness, transparency, leadership and build our teams around these values. Check out our careers page to get to know us better as you think about your next step at Carta.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄