Senior Data Engineer
Samsara (View all Jobs)
Remote - US
1. Phone interview 2. Onsite interview (technical challenges based on real problems we've faced at Samsara)
Programming Languages Mentioned
SQL, ETL, Python, R
Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Founded in San Francisco in 2015, we now employ more than 1,800 people globally and have over 1.5 million active devices. Samsara also went public in December 2021 and we’re just getting started.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
- #2 in the Financial Times’ Fastest Growing Companies in Americas list 2021
- Named as a Best Place to Work in Built In 2022
- #19 in the Forbes Cloud 100 2021
- IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
- Forbes Advisor named us the Best Solution for Large Companies - Fleet management software for 2022!
We're driving change in industries that are yet to fully embrace digital transformation. Physical operations make up a massive slice of the global economy but haven’t benefited from innovation and actionable information in the way that other sectors have. The potential for scale and impact is huge.
About the role:
Data and Analytics is a critical team within Marketing. Our mission is to enable revenue performance by providing marketing and sales teams with the insights, tools, infrastructure and consultation to make data driven decisions. We are a scrappy and growing team that loves all things data! The team will be composed of data engineers, analytics managers and data scientists. We are passionate about leveraging world class data and analytics to deliver a great customer experience.
Our team promotes an agile, collaborative, supportive environment where diverse thinking, innovative design, and experimentation is welcomed and encouraged.
In this role, you will:
- Develop and maintain databases, datasets, pipelines and Samsara’s Customer Data Platform (CDP) to enable advanced segmentation, targeting, automation and analytics.
- Work with data from a variety of sources including but not limited to: CRM data, Product data, Marketing data, Order flow data, Support ticket volume data.
- Manage critical data pipelines to enable our growth initiatives and advanced analytics.
- Facilitate data integration and transformation requirements for moving data between applications; ensuring interoperability of applications with data mart and CDP environments.
- Develop and improve the current data architecture, data quality, monitoring and data availability.
- Write data transformations in SQL/Python to generate data products consumed by customer systems and Analytics, Marketing Operations, Sales Operations teams.
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices.
Minimum requirements for the role:
- 2+ years of working experience in a growth, software or data engineering role
- Strong SQL and proficient Python knowledge with hands-on data modeling experience
- Exposure to data warehouse technical architectures, infrastructure components, ETL/ ELT and reporting/analytic tools.
- Hands-on experience working with modern data technologies stack such as Data Bricks, Google Big Query, Redshift, RDS, Snowflake or similar solutions
- Comfort in working with business customers to gather requirements and gain a deep understanding of varied datasets.
- Self-starter, motivated, responsible, innovative and technology-driven person who performs well both solo and as a team member
- A proactive problem solver and have good communication as well as project management skills to relay your findings and solutions across technical and non technical audiences
An ideal candidate also has:
- Familiarity with customer, marketing and/or web data
- Knowledge of Marketo, Salesforce.com and Google Analytics
- Experience working with CDPs such as Segment, Blueshift, Lytics or Adobe Real-time CDP
- Experience with data visualization tools and packages (e.g. Looker, Domo, Tableau, MixPanel)
- Familiarity with Marketing Technologies (MarTech stacks)
- Experience coding with Scala, R or Pandas
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit regular testing. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Our target total compensation market position is in the top 25% of all software and hardware companies. Our full time employees receive an above market-rate salary, an outstanding equity offering, employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, personal development, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants. As most roles are not required to be in the office, we are able to hire remotely where Samsara has an established presence. If a role is required to be in a certain location and candidates do not have work authorization for that location, Samsara will conduct an immigration assessment. If the role is not required to be in a specific location, Samsara will move forward with the remote location that works best for the business. All offers of employment are contingent upon an individual’s ability to secure and maintain the legal right to work at the company.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄