Senior Software Engineer, Full Stack - Fleet Safety
Samsara (View all Jobs)
Remote - US
1. Phone interview 2. Onsite interview (technical challenges based on real problems we've faced at Samsara)
Programming Languages Mentioned
Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which allows businesses that depend on physical operations to harness IoT (Internet of Things) data to develop actionable business insights and improve their operations. Founded in San Francisco in 2015, we now employ more than 1,800 people globally and have over 1.5 million active devices. Samsara also went public in December 2021 and we’re just getting started.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
- #2 in the Financial Times’ Fastest Growing Companies in Americas list 2021
- Named as a Best Place to Work in Built In 2022
- #19 in the Forbes Cloud 100 2021
- IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
- Forbes Advisor named us the Best Solution for Large Companies - Fleet management software for 2022!
We're driving change in industries that are yet to fully embrace digital transformation. Physical operations make up a massive slice of the global economy but haven’t benefited from innovation and actionable information in the way that other sectors have. The potential for scale and impact is huge.
About the role:
As a full-stack Senior Software Engineer on Samsara’s Fleet Safety team, you will lead the design and development of features across a broad surface area, driving impact to current and future customers. You’ll own and coordinate solving engineering challenges ranging from architecting data structures for mass data collection to presenting data analytics in intuitive and performant ways on both web and mobile.
Samsara’s Fleet Safety team builds features utilizing Samsara’s GPS Fleet Tracking and AI Dash Cam hardware products to improve driver safety using AI and data analysis to create web and mobile workflows, provide real-time driver feedback, and streamline video-based coaching. Samsara customers utilize these features to create safety programs that improve fleet safety, reward safe driving practices, and exonerate drivers in no-fault accidents.
In this role, you will:
- Create new capabilities for on-edge detection of unsafe driving conditions
- Scale event ingestion processes to run AI analysis on billions of data points
- Design new workflows to streamline customer interactions with large volumes of event data
- Use driving quality metrics computed from vehicle sensor data to gamify the driver experience
- Collaborate with other engineers on the team to design and review new architecture patterns to scale the product
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara’s cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we scale globally and across new offices
We use Golang for our backend, Typescript and React for our web client, GraphQL to fetch data from our backend, and React Native for our mobile app. Direct experience with these technologies is not required.
Minimum requirements for the role:
- 4+ years of experience building customer-facing applications
- Strong programming/coding fundamentals
- Experience working on large-scale enterprise software applications
An ideal candidate also has:
- Contributed heavily to driving significant value to their customers
- Enjoys understanding users and what would make their day to day processes easier
- Loves shipping high-quality features that are immediately used by our customers
- Seeks to iterate on new products based on customer feedback
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email email@example.com or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit regular testing. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Our target total compensation market position is in the top 25% of all software and hardware companies. Our full time employees receive an above market-rate salary, an outstanding equity offering, employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, personal development, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄