Distributed Systems Engineer
LaunchDarkly (View all Jobs)
Remote - US
1. Informational phone screen with Eng leadership 2. Take home project 3. On-site interviews
$165,000 - $195,000
Programming Languages Mentioned
About the Job:
As a Distributed Systems Engineer, you will help us design and implement our distributed systems with a keen eye on performance and reliability. Example systems that you’d be responsible for include our Flag Delivery Network and our event processing and indexing pipeline. We're looking for someone who knows what it takes to deliver value to customers and takes pride in the quality of their work.
Our platform serves over twenty billion feature flags daily. The core technologies we use include Golang, Rust, AWS, Terraform, MongoDB, ElasticSearch, Redis, CockroachDB, and NATS. As part of our you-build-it-you-run-it culture, all developers may be responsible for supporting applications in production, including on-call. Off-hours on-call is optional and compensated in addition.
- Build and maintain infrastructure hosted in the cloud
- Build and expand our distributed systems, written primarily in Go with some Rust
- Monitor and improve server-side performance
- Write unit, integration, and load tests as necessary
- Actively participate in code reviews
- Write and review technical proposals
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
- Experience with server-side web development (e.g. in Java / Scala, Ruby, Python, Golang, Node.js)
- Experience building, monitoring, and maintaining cloud infrastructure
- Experience writing production-ready code with emphases on quality and maintainability
- Familiarity with computer science fundamentals such as data structures, distributed systems, concurrency, and threading
- A commitment to working in a communicative and collaborative environment
- You have experience with CockroachDB or Elasticsearch
- You have experience working with networking technologies (TCP, HTTP, websockets, server-sent events, etc.)
Target pay range for a Level 4 in San Francisco/Bay Area: $165,000 - $195,000*
*Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), health, vision, and dental insurance, and mental health benefits in addition to salary.
LaunchDarkly operates from a place of high trust and transparency; we are happy to state the pay range for our open roles to best align with your needs. Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, degree level, and location.
LaunchDarkly is a Feature Management Platform that serves trillions of feature flags daily to help software teams build better software, faster. Feature flagging is an industry standard methodology of wrapping a new or risky section of code or infrastructure change with a flag. Each flag can easily be turned off independent of code deployment (aka "dark launching"). LaunchDarkly has SDKs for all major web and mobile platforms. We are building a diverse team so that we can offer robust products and services. Our team culture is dynamic, friendly, and supportive. Our headquarters are in Oakland.
At LaunchDarkly, we believe in the power of teams. We're building a team that is humble, open, collaborative, respectful and kind. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
One of our company values is 'Widen the Circle'. Which means we seek out diversity of perspectives to get better results. We understand everyone has their own unique talents and experiences. We encourage you to apply to this role even if you don’t think you meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above. We can find out together if it's the right match for your skillset.
We've partnered with KeyValues to help demonstrate the amazing culture we've built here at LaunchDarkly, find more info at https://www.keyvalues.com/launchdarkly.
LaunchDarkly is also committed to giving back to our community and is a part of Pledge 1%, an organization that helps companies make this a priority. Through this initiative and its charitable arm, the LaunchDarkly Foundation, the company is committed to such causes as supporting education for the underserved, homelessness relief and moving towards having a net-zero carbon footprint. You can find more about the LaunchDarkly Foundation and the organizations we serve at https://launchdarkly.com/foundation/.
Do you need a disability accommodation?
Fill out this accommodations request form and someone from our People Operations team will contact you for assistance.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄