Senior Full Stack Software Engineer - Remote (UK/US)
Litmus (View all Jobs)
1. General technical questions 2. Take-home code challenge 3. Discussion, on-site programming session, meet & greet with the team
Programming Languages Mentioned
***This role is open to candidates located in the United States (US) and United Kingdom (UK)
Who is Litmus?
Litmus’s email creation, testing, and analytics platform empowers marketers, designers, and agencies to confidently deliver quality, brand-aligned communications that delight and engage customers around the world.
Over the last 10+ years, we’ve built a reputation as one of the most trusted brands and thought-leaders in the industry—and it shines through our customers, including 9 of the Top 10 technology companies, 9 of the Top 10 U.S. banks, 10 of the Top 10 retailers, and 9 of the Top 10 e-commerce brands.
How do we do this? It all starts with our people, and a core belief that the talent we seek should be a culture add rather than a “culture fit”.
What would I do at Litmus?
We're looking for a remote Senior Full Stack Software Engineer (Ruby on Rails) to help expand our product line, improve our existing products, and help build the next generation of Litmus tools. Continuing our mission to provide exceptional support to our growing customer base.
A typical day for one of our developers might include:
- Collaborating within our Rails team, and reviewing code to help everyone on the team do their best work.
- Talking with our Design team to figure out the best way to present a new feature to our customers.
- Working with our Product team to understand product and marketing goals, and work out a good path to implementing them.
- Partnering with our .NET team to integrate with our internal APIs; and
- Working with customer support to investigate and fix bugs.
What's it like to work in Engineering at Litmus?
You'd work alongside a team of smart, curious people working on challenging problems. We're a motley crew of developers with a diverse set of skills and backgrounds. We're reflective about how we work, and strive to create a thoughtful, authentic culture. Most importantly, we're supportive of one another; we work as a team to enable each other to do our best work.
Best work can mean a lot of things. We care about testing, and apply that through a mix of unit, integration, and acceptance tests. That diligence allows us to ship early and often through an automated continuous integration and delivery process.
We're also strong believers of using the right tool for the job. We lean heavily on Rails and the traditional request/response web lifecycle for most of our work. That said, we reach for component frameworks like Vue when there's a clear benefit, and we've implemented full client-side MVC/SPA when the product demanded it.
We give our team members the time and space to learn and apply these and other tools correctly. We share our knowledge with each other on a regular basis through pairing, PR reviews, and team talks.
What can I expect in the first 60 days?
In your first week, you will:
- Receive your work computer, credentials, and anything else you might need to get started
- Set up your new laptop for development and help contribute any improvements you spot back to our onboarding documentation.
- Be introduced to your Engineering Buddy – someone you can lean on for help and pairing
- Walk through the product/features, various tools, and software we use
- Connect via All-Hands meeting with the Applications team
- Experience little wins. You’ll be set up with some smaller pieces of work to help you find your feet in our codebase
In your first month, you will:
- Begin a journey around our applications team, getting exposure working in one of our teams to gain experience of our problem domain and our technology stack
- Become familiar and comfortable with our software development process: Iterative development, writing well-tested code, working in a small cross-functional team
- Ship customer-facing features
After your first couple of months, you will:
- Start to feel a bit settled, having developed some good fundamentals for our problem space and gained exposure to how one or more teams work asynchronously. At this point, we’ll look to place you into a specific Applications team, where you’ll have a more focused domain to work in, and a team to support you on your journey.
What are we looking for in a candidate?
- You have a well-founded understanding of Ruby and Ruby on Rails. We won't limit to ‘x’ years’ experience, but you should be able to impress us with your app building skills, confident use of Ruby and Rails, and understanding of web development. We're happy to introduce you to the other technologies we use.
- You are experienced but maybe early in your software engineering career. This is equally an opportunity for both our senior team to actively mentor and support you, but also for you to bring a new and fresh perspective to our team as we continue to grow.
- You know how to build things from start to finish. You can identify a need, understand its impact, and seek out and work with others to deliver a well-crafted solution in a team environment—asking for help when needed.
- You have good communication skills. As a distributed team, it’s important that we're able to understand each other, verbally and in writing, connecting at the appropriate level of abstraction. You communicate clearly and with empathy, whether you’re discussing refactoring options with a developer, or working with a designer to understand user experience.
- You write clean, thoughtful code. Our code is the home that we live in every day. You enjoy putting effort into crafting understandable and well-tested code, to make everyone’s shared development experience more enjoyable.
- You are eager to collaborate, learn and teach. Our Engineering team is friendly and supportive of each other, and we look for opportunities to learn from each other’s experience.
What is the hiring process like?
Our hiring team reviews all applications. We communicate with candidates at every step of the process, letting them know if we'll be moving forward, and what they can expect in the next phase.
- Initial interview: A relaxed Zoom call where you’ll meet the hiring team, learn more about Litmus and this role in particular, and give you an opportunity to tell us a little about yourself.
- Live Coding Task & Technical Interview: We’ll provide you with a base project and ask you to work through some set tasks. We’ll also take some time to discuss technical topics.
- Final round: Opportunity for you to meet some of our engineering leaders and the rest of our Rails team over Zoom!
Why should I choose Litmus?
We offer everything you'd expect from a financially successful and profitable company that's been going strong for over ten years.
- We offer everything you’d expect from a profitable company that’s been going strong for 10+ years, including a great salary and stock options, comprehensive health care benefits, and a generous retirement plan match
- You’ll receive 28 days of paid vacation—on top of team retreats and public holidays
- A platform for good: Affinity Groups, a culture of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, and volunteer days—creating belonging for all is in our DNA both inside and outside of work #bebeyondlitmus
- Remote-friendly culture. No matter where you are, you’ll feel connected to the team
- Over half of our employees work remotely in the U.S. and UK and your work experience is just as exciting, entertaining (!), and engaging
- We take family seriously and offer flexible schedules and generous parental leave programs
- We give you great tools and tech to do your best work: Hardware, software, and home- and office setup
Not sure if you meet all the requirements? Please apply! We know there is no job description that can measure a person’s attitude, aptitude, or amplitude (the ability to turn it up a notch) and highly encourage you to apply.
Our approach is shaped by a strong respect for each individual. This applies to every aspect of employment – from equitable wages, work-life balance, the freedom to be your whole self, to equal opportunities for growth and development at Litmus. We believe wholeheartedly the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄