Engineering Manager, Studio
Mapbox (View all Jobs)
San Francisco, CA
1. Conversational interviews 2. Paid onsite project with team.
Programming Languages Mentioned
Mapbox powers navigation – for people, packages and vehicles everywhere. Our maps are designed for the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox powers apps across a broad range of industries - whether you’re tracking your fitness on Strava, checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, getting your groceries delivered through Instacart, or driving the latest generation of electric vehicles from BMW.
The Maps organization is responsible for services that process and deliver map data, map styles, map rendering, and interactivity to customers. We’ve built our maps platform around well-defined data, styling, and rendering primitives that can be combined to create new experiences. Think Web Standards for Maps. Customers find ways to take our vector tiles, style specification, and SDKs to create 3D running maps through clouds, fictional cartoon worlds, or data visualizations showing all pickup/dropoff locations in NYC. We tie all these specifications together into a single web editing interface called Mapbox Studio.
What You’ll Do
Mapbox is looking for an experienced technical and product focused Engineering Manager to lead Mapbox Studio, our flagship application for custom map design. You’ll drive the vision & execution for Studio with a cross-functional team of Frontend Engineers, Backend Engineers, UI/UX and Product Designers.
You will be responsible for understanding the needs of customers, setting a clear vision and strategy for the service, organizing your team’s roadmap & day-to-day work, monitoring the quality of service you are delivering to customers, and hiring and developing a high performing team.
In this role, you will:
- Drive product and team objectives and align them to company strategy & goals, carrying your team and relevant stakeholders along in the decision-making
- Deliver complex, high-impact projects while providing technical expertise and mentorship to your team
- Operate the team day-to-day and be hands-on in project management and sprint planning
- Manage and develop the team through hiring, retaining, mentoring, and continually building the team’s capabilities
- Develop the long-term business strategy driving the team’s work
- Establish and track operational metrics for data products to ensure the team is delivering products that satisfying customer requirements
- Manage SRE responsibilities for on-call and related responsibilities
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- 3+ years of experience managing teams of 6+ engineers.
- Proven ability to lead customer-facing web applications where design and ease-of-use are fundamental to the success of the business.
- Prior experience working with customers and stakeholders across time zones and locations.
- Experience establishing standards for quality of work, including clearly designed API interfaces, documentation, thorough test coverage, and leading effective code reviews.
- Passion for the operational excellence of your systems including aspects of: monitoring and metrics, triaging regressions, resolving customer issues, and improving a product continually over time.
- Ability in coaching and stretching peers across all levels, including colleagues at earlier stages in their careers. Strong emotional intelligence and consensus building skills are a must.
- Ability to articulate key metrics for your product to relevant stakeholders and form opinions on trends you’re observing.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Colorado only: Minimum salary of $180,000 + equity + benefits.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄