Software QA Engineer, Workbench
RStudio (View all Jobs)
USA - Remote
1. Video calls with recruiter then engineering management 2. Take home project 3. Video call for code review with engineering lead
Programming Languages Mentioned
RStudio is seeking a Quality Assurance Engineer to join the RStudio Workbench product team. RStudio Workbench allows users to launch RStudio IDE, Jupyter, or VS Code sessions through a browser and run on their organization's computing cluster. The Workbench works closely with the IDE team to build the core of the RStudio ecosystem, the RStudio IDE, so your work will directly impact millions of users. Data scientists use our tools to build R and Python applications used in business analytics, academia, research, medical studies, and anywhere data is important. We are passionate about creating the world’s best software for professional data science. We fundamentally believe in open-source software, and our team is active in the RStudio and R communities.
This is a role that involves test strategy creation, full-stack testing, data analysis, and puzzle solving. The day-to-day work carries significant opportunities to drive the quality of our software through careful testing and thoughtful analysis. You will work closely with the developers and other QA engineers on the team to design and execute both manual and automated tests for the features implemented by your team. We value analysis, reflection, and critical thought on the team, so you will be expected to contribute to lively product discussions throughout the development process.
What you’ll own:
- Create and execute concise, coherent manual test plans for data science features in the IDE and Workbench products, used for the development of R and Python applications
- User advocacy for new features and enhancements
- Identification, reporting, and verification of server-side and user-facing product issues and enhancements
What you’ll help with:
- Participation in the full SDLC from beginning to end. You will be involved in the initial planning, requirements gathering, design, architecture, feedback, and more.
- Collaboration with the developers and other stakeholders to make sure we are building the right things, and building things right
- Collaboration with other QA Engineers to coordinate test coverage, assess risk holistically, and mentor others in areas where you have the expertise (as they will for you)
- Managing a variety of test environments for both manual and automated testing, along with the team
- Supporting open-source and enterprise IDE users
- Holistic quality strategy for the Workbench product, and across the larger product suite
What you’ll teach:
- A quality mindset across the team. Everyone on the team owns quality, but QA can help set the tone of user advocacy
What you’ll learn:
- An appreciation for data science workflows
- How to develop reusable, efficient, and maintainable automated tests
- Test automation best practices, helping to create repeatable and maintainable automation patterns
- How to maintain and enhance automated test infrastructure, making automated tests easier to author, faster to run, more resilient, and broader in coverage
- Industry trends and new technologies related to testing and automation
- A deeper understanding of infrastructure as code to deploy reproducible test environments
- New skills related to data science patterns and best practices
- Python coding and environment creation experience
- Familiarity with IDEs
- Experience testing enterprise software or relevant coursework
- Experience administering Linux servers; familiarity with Linux tools and environment
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at RStudio.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: We have over 50% of our engineering dedicated to creating free and open source software. We are profitable and we plan to be around decades from now.
We offer competitive compensation with extensive human-first, people-focused benefits to prioritize your personal and financial well-being.
- 100% of medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums are covered for employees and their families! Fertility and gender-affirming healthcare is included in all of our plans.
- Supplemental mental health and wellness benefits are available via Ginger even if you don’t opt in to our insurance plans, including Ginger for teen family members.
- RStudio’s gender-neutral paid parental leave policy covers all new parents, including foster and adoptive parents.
- Our 401k matches up to 50% of the maximum employee contribution after six months.
- An annual profit-sharing bonus for employees recognizes our team’s contributions to company performance across the year.
- We are a 100% distributed team. You are also welcome to come into our Seattle or Boston offices.
- Our remote office allowance includes:
- $1000 home office allowance plus an additional $800 for equipment
- Up to $400 monthly reimbursement for coworking space rental
- Our remote office allowance includes:
- We provide a flexible environment with a generous vacation policy that encourages a minimum of four weeks PTO per year plus 13 paid company holidays.
RStudio is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄