Infrastructure Security Engineer - Security Logging
GitLab (View all Jobs)
1. A series of video calls 2. Coding exercise involving working on a Merge Request that is like a real work task
Programming Languages Mentioned
Ruby, PHP, Python, R
The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,800+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
The Security Logging engineers own security initiatives related to security of GitLab.com. They work to improve the coverage and usability of security-data on GitLab. They work very closely with the Security Incident Response Team [SIRT] and share findings proactively.
- Be part of the architectural direction, administration, maintenance, documentation, and oversight of the Security information and event management [SIEM] solution
- Create and maintain integrations and solutions for the log collection, aggregation, indexing, search, alerting
- Manage implementation, enhancement and adoption of the solutions built by the team into operations
- Utilize log ingestion platform for security analytics and identification of tactics, techniques and patterns of attackers
- Conduct incident response investigations
- Collect and review security logs from all systems (Cloud Providers, GitLab, OS, G-Suite, OKTA, IDS, etc.)
- Ensure compliance with internal policies, standards, and regulatory requirements
- Contribute to creation of runbooks
- Ability to use GitLab
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working in site-reliability engineering, cloud security, system engineering, or similar positions
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform (preferred) or Amazon Web Services
- Substantial knowledge of the Linux operating system
- Experience with one or more programming languages (Python and either Ruby, Go, or PHP)
- Demonstrated experience with running systems at scale
- Proficiency to communicate over a text-based medium (Slack, GitLab Issues, Email) and can succinctly document technical details
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values
Senior Log Management Engineer
This position reports to the Manager, Infrastructure Security.
Senior Log Management Engineer Job Grade
The Senior Log Management Engineer is a grade 7.
Senior Log Management Engineer Responsibilities
- Create and provide oversight for rule creation to generate actionable security alerts
- Be a subject-matter expert (SME) of at least 1 technical area impacting the security of the product
- Identify inconsistencies in logs and work with development, infrastructure and security teams and work to standardize them
- Assist on root cause analysis (RCA) and security incident reviews
- Guarantee the availability, and recoverability of the SIEM ecosystem
- Assist on actions to mitigate any threats based on findings
- Mentor other members of the Security Team
- Ownership and delivery on complex projects
Senior Log Management Engineer Requirements
- Experience working with incident response
- Experience with logging systems and log analysis
- Experience using and administrating analysis platforms such as Splunk, ELK, BigQuery, etc…
- Experience with orchestration technologies such as Chef, Puppet or Ansible
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code
- Working experience with Kubernetes and Docker
- Capability to build working relationships with key stakeholders
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process.
- Qualified candidates will be invited to schedule a 30-minute screening call with one of our Global Recruiters.
- Then, candidates will be invited to schedule a 50-minute interview with the team hiring manager.
- Candidates will be invited to schedule 2 separate 50-minute interviews with Security Research team member peers.
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule an interview with VP of Security
- Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer via email
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours: Plan your day so you are there for other people & have time for personal interests
- Transparency: Over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered YouTube channel
- Iteration: Empower people to be effective & have an impact, Merge Request rate, We dogfood our own product, Directly responsible individuals
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: A focus on gender parity, Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: Kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Total Rewards: Competitive market rates for compensation, Equity compensation, global benefits (inclusive of office equipment)
- Work/Life Harmony: Flexible workday, Friends and Family days
- Remote Done Right: One of the world's largest all-remote companies, prolific inventor of remote best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.
To view the full job description and its compensation calculator, view our handbook. The compensation calculator can be found towards the bottom of the page.
For Colorado residents: The base salary range for this role’s listed level is currently $124,300-$226,400 for Colorado residents only. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data. See more information on our benefits and equity. Sales roles are also eligible for incentive pay targeted at up to 100% of the offered base salary. Disclosure as required by the Colorado Equal Pay for >Equal Work Act, C.R.S. § 8-5-101 et seq.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄