Senior Engineering Manager - Data Platform
Betterment (View all Jobs)
1. Phone interview 2. On-site pair programming to simulate a Betterment feature build.
Programming Languages Mentioned
C++, Python, Java, ETL, C#
Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing and retirement solutions for retail investors and investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small and medium-sized businesses. Our growing team of 400+ is passionate about our mission to make people’s lives better. We’re headquartered in NYC, with hubs in Philadelphia and D.C, and offer in-office, hybrid, and remote working based on role and location.
About the Role:
The data platform engineering team at Betterment develops and maintains platforms upon which data can be made available and transformed, helping produce valuable insights for both our customers and internal teams. We’re committed to create a seamless user experience that allows engineers and analysts to easily create their own ETL pipelines with Airflow on our self-serve data platform. We leverage and maintain cloud infrastructure that enables these efforts, utilizing AWS services including S3, Kinesis, Lambda, RDS, and Redshift. As the Senior Engineering Manager for the Data Engineering team, you'll help balance on-time delivery of new features alongside system stability and scale, all while helping mentor and grow a team of amazing engineers.
This role is remote eligible. For Colorado only, this role has an annual salary range of $175,000-$190,000, a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, a 401(k) offering with employer match, wellness stipend, and a flexible PTO policy. This job may also be eligible for variable compensation in the form of an incentive bonus.
A Day in the Life:
- Lead your team, providing mentorship, coaching, and regular feedback
- Identify and provide team members with growth opportunities that align with their career goals
- Iterate on regular process meetings that help maintain strong communication among the team
- Ensure on-time delivery of solutions without sacrificing sustainability, avoiding technical debt
- Partner with stakeholders to help develop and continuously refine the long and short-term roadmap
- Weigh in on design documents and perform code review, providing valuable and actionable feedback to peers
- Make substantial code contributions to different components of our ETL platform
- Participate in on call cycles
- Initiate, influence, and drive a diverse set of data-oriented problems, working with a wide range of teams and learning a great deal about finance in the process
- Work with people who care. We support many teams who are not engineers, but we believe everyone at Betterment is an engineer with their own tools. We’re a group of talented professionals who pride ourselves on what we do. We’re smart, innovative, energetic, and lots of fun.
What We’re Looking For:
- Passion for growing and developing engineers, helping them level up in their careers
- A track record of fostering collaboration among team members through effective process
- Ability to make the tradeoffs required to ship without compromising quality or team health
- Experience helping maintain a technical roadmap and balancing novel asks from engineering, product, and other stakeholders against improvements to the existing platform
- Deep expertise in at least one backend language, such as Java, Scala, C#, C++, Python - we build our services with Python
- Familiarity with ETL and creating pipelines for large datasets
- Experience utilizing cloud infrastructure - we use AWS
What Being at Betterment Means for You:
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, and continuing on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
You’ll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your whole self and make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing.
- Join one or more of our 6 Employee Resource Groups as a member or an ally, and help us shape Betterment’s culture and product for years to come.
You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- We will ensure you're set up and cared for with a customizable workstation, benefit packages that fit your needs (including infertility support and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits), a Self Care stipend of $600 per year to invest in your wellness however you see fit, as well as additional professional development opportunity.
- You’ll have flexible paid time off, and a team that cares about you, not just what you’re working on.
You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing and transparency you can opt into mentoring and career coaching programs as well as weekly company meetings.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
What Happens Next?
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 2-3 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, and our hiring team simply doesn’t have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Please mention No Whiteboard if you apply!
I'm a one-man team looking to improve tech interviews, and could use any support! 😄